Low-graphic news index |
Friday, January 4, 2013 - Page updated at 10:30 p.m.
UW volleyball team gets a surprise return player | Northwest briefs
The Washington Huskies volleyball team will get one more season — surprisingly — from senior outside hitter Kylin Muñoz.
The 6 foot 1 inch Muñoz, from Monroe, originally committed to Brigham Young out of high school but then decided to attend UW. Her switch carried with it a loss of one year of eligibility, but BYU has granted her a full release and she can play for Washington in 2013.
Last season, Muñoz was the only Pac-12 player in the top 10 in both blocks and service aces.
"This is a tremendous outcome both for her and for our program," coach Jim McLaughlin said.
• At Monmouth, Ore., Suzanna Ohlsen scored 17 points, one of three Seattle Pacific players in double figures, and Mechela Barnes pulled down a career-high 10 rebounds, leading the Falcons (9-2, 3-0 in conference) past Western Oregon in a Great Northwest Athletic Conference women's game, 72-65.
• Mark McLaughlin led four Central Washington men in double figures with 25 points but the Wildcats (7-4, 1-2 GNAC) suffered a rare home loss, to Alaska Fairbanks, 82-75.
• Center Britt Harris scored 16 points to lead the Western Washington women (9-2, 3-0) over Alaska Anchorage, 70-60.
• The Eastern Washington women (7-5, 3-0 in Big Sky) beat Montana 58-56 and took over sole possession of first place in the conference.
• The Eastern Washington men (3-10, 1-2 Big Sky) fell at Montana 81-66. Eastern played its first game without former starting point guard Justin Crosgile, who has left the program.
• The Western Washington men's basketball home game with Central Washington, scheduled for Jan. 10, will be televised live on ROOT Sports. Tipoff is 9:10 p.m.
• Cyclist Tyler Farrar of Wenatchee will race in the Tour Down Under, the first event of the 2013 ProTour. Farrar hasn't raced since sustaining a concussion in a fall in September in the Tour of Britain. The sprinter had a strong season, winning stages in the U.S. Pro Cycling Challenge, the Tour of Utah and the Giro d'Italia.
• UW golfer Chris Williams shot a 1-under 71 in the first round of the Copa de las Americas tournament at Miami's Doral Resort & Spa and is third among all competitors. On the women's side, Silverdale's Erynne Lee paired with Lindy Duncan to shoot 5-over 149 and are in third.
• Rob Frankel highlights the main event at Saturday night's Battle at the Boat at Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma. Frankel will take on welterweight Jermaine White in a 10-round fight.
• The Everett Silvertips traded forward Trent Lofthouse to the Victoria Royals for a sixth-round pick in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft. In 34 games for the Silvertips this season, Lofthouse has 12 points on nine goals and three assists.
From news releases, wire services
Copyright © The Seattle Times Company
Low-graphic news index
Graphic-enabled home page