Low-graphic news index |
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - Page updated at 03:30 p.m.
Hollywood reacts to the death of Phyllis Diller
The Associated Press
The Associated Press
Hollywood reacts to the passing of comic pioneer Phyllis Diller:
- "I adored her. She was a wondrous spirit who was great to me." - Barbra Streisand.
- "Today marked the passing of one of the great comedic icons of all time. She was also my friend. Phyllis Diller, you'll always make me laugh." - Kiefer Sutherland, on Twitter.
- "I adored Phyllis Diller - she was a great guest, a terrific lady & certainly one of the funniest people ever." - Larry King, via Twitter.
- "The thing that strikes me most about Phyllis, aside from a joy to be around, was her uniqueness. There was no one like Phyllis before, and I doubt if there will be anyone after." - Bob Newhart.
- "I'm beyond saddened by the death of Phyllis Diller. We were friends - Melissa and I had a wonderful time with her at lunch just a month ago." - Joan Rivers tweeted.
- "A fond farewell to Phyllis Diller. Thanks for all the laughs dear friend. Thank you most of all for your sweetness to my mother. Godspeed." - Nancy Sinatra, via Twitter.
- "Phyllis Diller was a friend of mine. 1 time she came over with a 70 year old guy. Told me she was "Robbing the cradle". RIP" - Tweeted Dylan McDermott.
- "A true original has died. Phyllis Diller There was NOOne like her, no 1looked like her sounded like her. A FUNNY FUNNY. Classy& Smart RIP" - Whoopi Goldberg, on Twitter.
- "We lost a comedy legend today. Phyllis Diller was the queen of the one-liners. She was a pioneer." - Ellen DeGeneres, on Twitter.
- "She was responsible for getting me one of my first jobs. I loved her and I will miss her tremendously, as will the whole world." - Rip Taylor.
- "She was one of a kind. A brilliant talent and an extremely supportive friend, when you needed one. When I had the accident that broke my leg a couple of years ago, hers was the first voice that managed to reach me by phone at the hospital. She was also the first note I received, written on a piece of paper it said ... `Money's scarce. Times are hard. Here's your F(asterisk)(asterisk)(asterisk)ing get well card - Phyllis.' She knew how to lift your spirits. I loved her and we will all miss her." - Carol Channing.
- "Gonna miss Phyllis Diller. Rest in peace my friend. The world is a better place because of you. Happy Trails." - Reba McEntire, on Twitter.
Copyright © The Seattle Times Company
Low-graphic news index
Graphic-enabled home page