|« Pacific Northwest: Taste|
|Fired Beef (Pulgogi)|
|Serves 4 to 6
Adapted from "Growing Up in a Korean Kitchen" by Hi Soo Shin Hepinstall
2 pounds lean beef sirloin
For the marinade:
For the garnish:
2. Combine the rice wine, soy sauce, orange juice, green onions, garlic, walnuts, malt or corn syrup, sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and pepper in a bowl; mix well with a spoon.
3. Add the beef and toss to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate the beef in the marinade for at least one hour.
4. Grill the beef over hot coals or on a gas grill for about 5 minutes on each side.
5. Using scissors, snip the beef strips into bite-size pieces.
6. Serve the beef with the rice, lettuce leaves and hot pepper flakes. Each person wraps bite-sized pieces of grilled beef in the lettuce leaves, seasoning to taste with pepper flakes.
Back to top