When the Denny
Party arrived here
in 1851, about 500
Duwamish Indians lived
around Elliott Bay, and hundreds more
in villages from Shilshole Bay to
present-day Renton. Elliott Bay appears here
as drawn by a U.S. Navy coastal survey in 1854.
At that time, these shores were blanketed with a
coastal forest of Douglas firs, cedars and hemlock,
interspersed with open spaces maintained by the natives.