The Seattle Times Company

NWjobs | NWautos | NWhomes | NWsource | Free Classifieds |

Travel / Outdoors

Our network sites | Advanced

Originally published Sunday, June 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Comments (0)     E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share

Ask Travel

You may want passport for cruise to Alaska

Q: We are going on a cruise from Seattle to Alaska. Our last stop is in Victoria, B.C. Do we need a passport to enter or leave the ship there?

Seattle Times Travel

Q: We are going on a cruise from Seattle to Alaska. Our last stop is in Victoria, B.C. Do we need a passport to enter or leave the ship there?

— Shirley Kramer, Omaha

A: New rules took effect on June 1 that require more standardized ID for crossing land/sea borders between the U.S. and Canada. In general, travelers must have a passport, passport card, an enhanced driver's license (only available in a few states) or one of the "trusted traveler" cards for prescreened travelers. However, there are some exceptions — plus some confusion in regard to cruises.

For "closed-loop" sailings such as Seattle-Alaska cruises that depart and return to the same U.S. port, U.S. officials say that a passport or one of the new alternative documents isn't required — that a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, are sufficient (those documents are needed to prove both a traveler's identity and citizenship). However, some cruise lines strongly urge cruise passengers to have passports. So check — and double-check — with your cruise line. (And you must have ID even if you're not planning to get off the ship in Victoria.)

You can get information on the new rules, and how to obtain a passport or passport card, in a recent article of mine.

Go to and search for: Kristin Jackson and passports.

My advice: Given the confusion over ID requirements for Seattle-Alaska cruises, go ahead and get the passport card (good for land/sea travel to Canada and Mexico, but not any international air travel). It's cheaper than a passport, and you'd need it if you ever took a driving trip to Canada. But if you think you might take a flight anywhere out of the U.S. in the coming years, get the traditional passport, which works for all international travel.

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

More Travel headlines...

E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share

No comments have been posted to this article.


Get home delivery today!

More Travel

NEW - 8:12 AM
Rick Steves' Europe: Helsinki and Tallinn: Baltic Sisters

NEW - 8:00 AM
More extensive TSA searches in Sea-Tac Airport rattle some travelers

Winter play in the French Alps — without skiing

Carnival group hit by fire cheered in Rio parade

United cuts 2011 growth and Southwest raises fares




Track envisioned as a playground for wealthy gearheadsnew
In the shadow of the Santa Rosa Mountains in Southern California, a private playground for some of the nation's wealthiest gearheads is rising out of ...
Post a comment