The Weather Beat
4 in Kent family suffer possible carbon monoxide poisoning
From staff reporter Carol M. Ostrom
Three children and an adult from Kent's Easthill area who may have suffered carbon-monoxide poisoning Friday night were taken to the hospital by Kent firefighters. They were responding to a 911 call from the family, whose members complained of dizziness, headaches and nausea after attempting to use a small charcoal barbecue indoors to heat their house.
The Kent Fire Department said residents should never bring barbecues or generators into or near homes, because they throw off carbon monoxide, a clear, odorless gas that blocks the body's ability to absorb oxygen. Carbon monoxide poisoning is sometimes fatal.
Here is a multilingual warning about carbon monoxide poisoning.
If anyone experiences dizziness, headaches and nausea, and carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, the Fire Department said, call 911 immediately and leave the residence.
Kent Firefighters treated the family at the scene and took them to a local hospital for further evaluation, the Department said.