The Weather Beat
What to do — and what not to do — when the power goes out
Power is out throughout the region. Here are some safety tips on how to deal with a power outage:
• Have a power-outage kit that includes flashlights and batteries, glow-in-the-dark sticks, a lantern, matches, a wind-up clock, a portable radio, a Mylar blanket and a can opener.
• To avoid deadly carbon-monoxide poisoning, keep generators outdoors when they're running. Make sure the exhaust is not near a window or other opening to the home. Keep the exhaust and muffler away from combustible material.
• Never burn charcoal indoors. Charcoal produces toxic fumes that can kill quickly.
• Use hot water sparingly.
• Turn off most electrical devices, and unplug sensitive electrical equipment. Leave a light switched on, however, so you'll know when the power returns.
• Never handle or approach a downed power line.
• Dress in layers and cover your head. Close off unused rooms. Close drapes to prevent drafts.
• Use only space heaters designed for the indoors. Even those need to be adequately vented to avoid carbon-monoxide poisoning. Keep space heaters away from curtains and clothing. Always turn off the heaters before going to bed or leaving home.
• Get fresh air and get help right away if you feel sick or dizzy while using a generator or space heater. Fatigue, nausea or sleepiness are signs of carbon-monoxide poisoning.