The Times' criminal justice team looks behind the scenes and behind the headlines.
Victim in deadly Seattle fire identified
Posted by Jeff Hodson
Taj Abdul Randall, 36, was identified Monday as the man who died in a house fire Sunday afternoon in the 1700 block of 19th Avenue.
Randall, who was found unresponsive by firefighters in the basement of his home, died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns, the King County Medical Examiner's Office said. His death was ruled accidental.
Firefighters were called to the house at 1:15 p.m. Randall's parents, who lived upstairs, were reportedly at church at the time, according to neighbors.
Firefighters said the deadly blaze was caused by combustible material that came into contact with a baseboard electrical heater.
Fires started by heating equipment cause an average of 560 deaths a year and injure more than 1,600 Americans, the Seattle Fire Department said, citing statistics from the National Fire Protection Association.
Residents should check baseboard heaters often and remove objects -- such as newspapers, furniture or blankets -- that are on top of or near the heater, the department says.