The Times' criminal justice team looks behind the scenes and behind the headlines.
Spark from construction equipment caused Belltown fire
Posted by John de Leon
Friday's fire at a Belltown apartment building has been ruled an accident, the Seattle Fire Department said Monday.
Investigators said a spark from construction equipment ignited the foam insulation on the roof of the 25-story McGuire Building.
The fire was reported in the 272-unit building just before 5 p.m. The dollar loss is zero because of the limited fire damage. In addition, the building has been scheduled for demolition.