5 concerts for (classical) lovers
Valentine’s weekend is loaded with classical-music concerts in the Seattle area, including programs by NW Sinfonietta, Northwest Symphony Orchestra, Demarre McGill, The King’s Singers and Seattle Symphony.
Does classical music make your heart beat faster? If so, you have your choice of activities Feb. 14-16, all with far fewer calories than chocolate:
• NW Sinfonietta, “Soundscapes — Go Green”: A program with this title naturally includes Beethoven’s Symphony No. 6 “Pastoral,” with Williams’ “The Lark Ascending” and “The Hebrides” overture by Mendelssohn. 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, Benaroya Hall, Seattle; (concerts also in Tacoma/Puyallup) $42 (206-215-4747 or seattlesymphony.org).
• Northwest Symphony Orchestra, “Latin Passion”: Hot stuff! Conductor Anthony Spain will lead the NSO in Bizet’s “Carmen” Suite No. 1; Tchaikovsky’s Capriccio Italien; Ravel’s “Bolero”; and a work called “Salsa” by local composer Ian Guthrie. 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, Highline Performing Arts Center, Burien; $10-$15 (206-242-6321 or northwestsymphonyorchestra.org).
• Simple Measures, “The Magic of the Flute”: Seattle Symphony principal flutist Demarre McGill (currently filling that position with the Dallas Symphony) returns to Seattle for an evening of works accompanied by a string quartet of local notables Elisa Barston, Michael Jinsoo Lim, Melia Watras and Rajan Krishnaswami. 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, Good Shepherd Chapel, Seattle, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 16, Town Hall Seattle; $15-$30 (206-853-5672 or simplemeasures.org).
• The King’s Singers, “In Memoriam Josquin des Prez”: The British sextet salutes the unbelievably prolific Renaissance composer as well as Jean Richafort and Maurice Durufle. 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15, Town Hall Seattle; $42 (206-325-7066 or earlymusicguild.org).
• Seattle Symphony, “The Fantastique”: Music director Ludovic Morlot will lead the orchestra in Berlioz’s gem about a lovelorn artist, and guest cellist Xavier Phillips will perform Schumann’s very short and very lovely Cello Concerto in A minor, Op. 129. 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15, Benaroya Hall, Seattle; tickets start at $19 (206-215-4747 or seattlesymphony.org).