Seattle Star of the Year nominees announced
Seahawk running back Marshawn Lynch is on the list. So is U.S. women’s soccer star Alex Morgan. And Olympic swimmer Nathan Adrian and Washington Huskies tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins.
Those are a few of the athletes nominated for the 78th annual MTR Western Sports Star of the Year. You can vote in several different categories online at www.sportsstaroftheyear.org through Jan. 18 at 5 p.m.
The Seattle Sports Commission announced the nominees earlier this week for the annual event that honors athletes, coaches, media, sports executives and stories. Winners will be announced at the banquet on Jan. 25 at Benaroya Hall.
Nominees were selected by the Sports Star Committee, which is composed of local sports historians, media and others active in the sports industry. (Full disclosure: as Seattle Times sports editor, I’m on the committee and had a vote in nominations. Also, The Seattle Times is one of the event sponsors).
Fans can vote for their favorite nominee in the following categories: Professional, Male, Female and Sports story of the Year. Feel free to weigh in here with your comments or email me with your thoughts about who should win, or who was left off the list.
Tickets to the Jan. 25 show can be purchased at the Benaroya Hall Box Office, at www.benaroyahall.org or by calling 206-215-4747. Premium tickets are $100, reserved are $80 and include access to the show and the VIP reception. Show-only tickets can be purchased for $35.
Below is a complete list of nominees:
Professional Sports Star of the Year
- Alex Morgan (Sounders Women FC)
- Marshawn Lynch (Seahawks)
- Eddie Johnson (Sounders FC)
- Kasey Kahne (NASCAR driver)
- Ryan Villopoto (Supercross rider)
Male Sports Star of the Year
- Nathan Adrian (Olympic swimmer)
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Washington football)
- Chris Williams (Washington golf)
- Drew Snider (Maryland, Stealth lacrosse)
- David DeCastro (Stanford football)
Female Sports Star of the Year
- Mary Whipple (Olympic rower)
- Ariana Kukors (Olympic swimmer)
- Katie Flood (Washington cross country and track)
- Marti Malloy (Olympic judo)
- Jennie Reed (Olympic cycling)
Sports Story of the Year
- The Mariners’ Felix Hernandez throws perfect game.
- Washington men’s rowing completes unbeaten season and sweeps IRA national championships.
- Montesano High football goes from fire to Class 1A state title.
- Bellevue High football wins 10th Class 3A state title in 12 years.
- Western Washington men’s basketball wins the NCAA Division II national title