Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published February 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM | Page modified February 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

WNBA, players agree on new deal

The WNBA and its players’ union reached a labor agreement on a six-year deal. The previous agreement expired Sept. 30.


The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

The WNBA is assured of labor peace for the next several years.

The league and its players’ union reached a labor agreement Saturday on a six-year deal. It replaces an agreement that expired Sept. 30, a few weeks before the Minnesota Lynx won their second league title in three seasons.

The maximum team roster size will increase by one to 12 under the deal, which must be drafted into a formal collective-bargaining agreement in the next few weeks.

“The WNBA and WNBPA are pleased to announce an agreement in principle on a new collective-bargaining agreement,” WNBA President Laurel Richie told The Associated Press. “Over the next week to 10 days, we will be working together to complete the written agreement.”

The players ratified the deal in a vote over the past few days. The union constitution required approval from a majority of voters.

“This is an important step in the process and we will now focus on completing a fully drafted Collective Bargaining Agreement,” WNBPA director of operations Pam Wheeler said.

Among the changes:

• Owners will be able to increase fines and penalties associated with overseas play when players can’t fulfill WNBA obligations;

• Smaller annual increases in the salary cap than called for in the previous deal;

• An improved revenue-sharing program for the players.

Roster size was the biggest issue for the players. Teams were severely hampered after rosters were cut from 13 to 11 in 2009 to save money and keep labor peace. Some teams suited up eight players for games last year because of injuries.

The agreement follows a deal by a Magic Johnson-led group to buy the Los Angeles Sparks, whose previous owner bowed out in mid-December.



News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

The Seattle Times Historical Archives

Browse our newspaper page archives from 1900-1984


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►