David Downs leads SPU men to 8th win in a row
David Downs scored 19 points, including six straight to ignite a late 11-point run and lift 19th-ranked Seattle Pacific men to an 88-76 Great Northwest Athletic Conference basketball victory over host Alaska Anchorage on Thursday night.
SPU (19-4) extended its win streak to eight games and took sole possession of the GNAC lead at 10-2.
After the Seawolves (13-10, 6-6 GNAC) pulled into a 70-70 tie with 2½ minutes left, SPU scored the next 11 points, aided by two technical fouls on UAA coach Rusty Osborne, who was ejected.
Mitch Penner’s 20 points led SPU, which hit 7 of 10 foul shots in the last minute.
• Visiting Central Washington (10-9, 6-5 GNAC) fell 71-59 to Western Oregon as national scoring leader Mark McLaughlin was held to 14 points — half his 28.4 average.
• Katie Colard tied a school record with eight three-pointers and scored a career-high 26 points to lead visiting Western Washington (12-8, 8-4 GNAC) past Northwest Nazarene, 94-81.
• All five starters hit double figures as Eastern Washington (10-10, 6-5 Big Sky) cruised past visiting Montana State, 81-66.
• Visiting Simon Fraser dropped Central Washington to 1-11 in GNAC play with a 75-61 win. Courtney Johnson’s 22 points led the Wildcats (6-14).
• Washington men’s golf team is tied for 10th after the first round of the Amer Ari Intercollegiate at Waikoloa, Hawaii. Gerrit Chambers and Corey Pereira led the Huskies with a 3-under 69s.
From sports-information reports.