Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published February 6, 2014 at 9:29 PM | Page modified February 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Canucks’ losing streak now at 6

Max Pacioretty scored three goals for his third career hat trick — despite missing on two penalty shots — to help the host Montreal Canadiens to a 5-2 victory over the Canucks on Thursday night that extended Vancouver’s losing streak to six games.


Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

NHL

Hat trick dooms Canucks

Max Pacioretty scored three goals for his third career hat trick — despite missing on two penalty shots — to help the host Montreal Canadiens to a 5-2 victory over the Canucks on Thursday night that extended Vancouver’s losing streak to six games.

Ryan White and Tomas Plekanec also scored for Montreal, while Carey Price made 42 saves.

Pacioretty was awarded two penalty shots in a two-minute span in the second period, but failed to convert, losing control of the puck both times.

Chris Higgins and Alexander Edler scored for Vancouver (27-23-9). Roberto Luongo stopped 25 shots.

The Canucks are still winless (0-3) since coach John Tortorella’s return from a 15-day suspension. They have lost six consecutive games for the first time in five years.

Vancouver, stuck on 63 points, is holding on to the last playoff spot in the Western Conference.

The Chicago Blackhawks acquired forwards Peter Regin and Pierre-Marc Bouchard from the New York Islanders for a fourth-round pick in this June’s NHL draft. The Islanders made the deal after losing for the sixth time in seven games.

NFL

Vikings retain assistant

The Minnesota Vikings finalized their assistants under new coach Mike Zimmer, including special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer, the target of a discrimination complaint by one of his former players.

Last month, former punter Chris Kluwe wrote a scathing essay for the sports gossip website Deadspin.com alleging Priefer made anti-gay comments around the team. Kluwe also claimed he was released last year because of his outspoken support of gay marriage rights, not on-field performance, and that coach Leslie Frazier and general manager Rick Spielman urged him to tone down his message.

Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio has signed a two-year contract that will keep him in Denver through 2015. Del Rio went 3-1 as interim coach when John Fox underwent heart surgery.

College football

Winston: 2 more years

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston said Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher was on the money when he stated the Heisman winner might play two more years of college football.

Winston said that’s indeed his plan.

The redshirt freshman said he and Fisher have a good relationship, “so whatever he says most likely is true. ... Obviously I’m a big baseball person, so that’s an accurate statement because I plan on playing baseball next season.”

D.J. Law, the high-school prospect from Florida who submitted signed national letters-of-intent to Utah and Mississippi, has been released from his obligation to Ole Miss. Law had announced he planned to attend Utah, but both schools received signed letters-of-intent from him.

Top running back Kalen Ballage signed a national letter-of-intent with Arizona State, a day after a snowstorm prevented him from filing the paperwork.

Ballage had planned to sign on national signing day but his school in Peyton, Colo., was closed because of ice, snow and cold temperatures.

Soccer

The Los Angeles Galaxy signed coach Bruce Arena to a multiyear contract extension. Terms were not released. Arena, a three-time MLS coach of the year, joined the Galaxy in 2008 and has led the club to MLS titles in 2011 and 2012. He has an 82-46-44 regular-season record with Los Angeles.

ELSEWHERE

• Former Portland Timbers forward Eddie Johnson is suing the team for $9.9 million, alleging that he was allowed to practice while he still had concussion symptoms. The native of Chester, England, said he was forced to retire after another head injury.

• Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic said he will leave the club after eight years at the end of the season. Inter Milan has already been suggested as a potential destination for the center back, who can now start to talk to other clubs.

• Top-seeded Fabio Fognini of Italy defeated Aljaz Bedene of Slovenia 6-4, 7-6 (7-0) to reach the quarterfinals of the Royal Guard Open in Vina del Mar, Chile.

• Top-seeded Richard Gasquet of France easily advanced to the Open Sud de France quarterfinals in Montpellier after beating countryman Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-1, 6-3.

• German qualifier Bjorn Phau upset second-seeded Mikhail Youzhny of Russia 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 to reach the quarterfinals of the Zagreb Indoors in Croatia.

• The University of Cincinnati hired former Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn to take over a program hoping to move into a more high-profile conference.

• The long battle between Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing and Panther Racing for Army National Guard sponsorship ended with the coveted funding moving to Graham Rahal’s car for the upcoming IndyCar season.

Seattle Times news services



Advertising

Advertising


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►