Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Monday, April 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

NFL retiree publicity rights settlement approved

The $50 million settlement between the NFL and a group of retired players seeking publicity rights has been given preliminary approval by a federal judge.

AP Pro Football Writer

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

MINNEAPOLIS —

The $50 million settlement between the NFL and a group of retired players seeking publicity rights has been given preliminary approval by a federal judge.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson also warned retirees Monday not to be too fussy about the money now that it's been awarded.

The settlement of the class-action lawsuit was mediated last month. But some of the plaintiffs opposed the agreement, arguing it didn't benefit them enough. Magnuson said in his order that the complexity and expense of further litigation "weigh heavily in favor" of final approval of the settlement - and he said the complaint sounded like "children denied dessert."

The lawsuit was filed in 2009, accusing the NFL of exploitation of the identities of retired players in highlight films and memorabilia.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►