Former Husky Nick Taylor advances in PGA's Q-School
Taylor, a 2010 UW graduate, was the only one of six Husky golfers to advance from the first stage round at San Juan Oaks Club.
HOLLISTER, Calif. — Former Washington Husky golfer Nick Taylor shot a 7-under 67 in the final round of the first stage of PGA Tour Q-School on Friday and advanced in his pursuit of earning his tour card. Taylor finished third at San Juan Oaks Club by shooting a 15-under 273 and will move on to the second qualifying stage in November.
Taylor, a 2010 UW graduate, was under par in all four rounds. Andrew Putnam of University Place also qualified with a 12-under 276.
The top 19 golfers from the region advanced to the second stage of qualifying.
Five other Huskies competed at the location and failed to advance. Zach Bixler (-8) ended up two strokes shy of the cutline. Also falling short were James Lepp (-4), who won the NCAA championship in 2005; Darren Wallace (-4), Brock Mackenzie (-3) and Joe Panzeri (-2).
The professionals sealed a Hudson Cup victory over the amateurs at Inglewood Golf Club in Kenmore in the annual Ryder Cup-style team match-play competition.
The professional squad, made up of the top PGA professionals of the Pacific Northwest Section, entered Friday's singles matches with a 5-4 lead over the amateur team, which is selected by the Oregon Golf Association and the Washington Golf Association, and cruised to a 13 ½ to 6 ½ triumph. Tim Feenstra was the top professional and Dylan Maine was the top amateur, winning all three of his matches.
Seattle University earned a spot in the Western Athletic Conference tournament with a 2-1 comeback win over New Mexico State.
• Nicole Setterlund scored the game-winner for Washington State in the 69th minute to give the Cougars a 2-1 victory over visiting Oregon State.
• Host Gonzaga earned its first conference win, beating Loyola Marymount, 2-0.
• Jessica Oliver scored to give visiting Northwest a 1-0 victory over No. 3 Concordia in Portland.
Two second-half goals gave No. 24 Washington a 2-0 win over visiting San Diego State.
• Seattle University earned a 2-1 win over visiting Houston Baptist.
• Gonzaga lost its seventh straight game with a 2-1 defeat at Saint Mary's in Moraga, Calif.
Washington State remained winless in Pac-12 play with a 3-0 loss at UCLA.
• Northwest swept host Oregon Tech, 3-0, for a key conference road win.
Owner Mike Feuerborn announced Friday that Class Included, Emerald Downs' 2012 Horse of the Meeting, will enter the $2 million Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic next Friday at Santa Anita in Arcadia, Calif.
From sports-information reports