UW vs. WSU | Tale of the tape for the 2006-07 seasons
Cats and Dawgs. What's a school year without the Washington vs. Washington State rivalry? The surprise of the year was the Cougars winning...
Times staff Reporter
Cats and Dawgs. What's a school year without the Washington vs. Washington State rivalry?
The surprise of the year was the Cougars winning all three men's basketball games against the Huskies and advancing to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Not bad for a team picked to finish last in the Pac-10.
For Huskies fans, satisfying moments included winning the Apple Cup football game in Pullman.
Washington held the edge in 11 of 17 sports (with one even), using head-to-head competition as the overriding criterion.
The sport-by-sport breakdown:
Fall sports (UW 4, WSU 1)
• Football — UW won 35-32 in Pullman.
• Volleyball — UW beat Cougars 3-0 in Seattle and 3-0 in Pullman.
• Men's cross country — UW finished sixth at Pac-10 championship, Cougars seventh.
• Women's cross country — UW was third at Pac-10 championship, Cougars sixth.
• Women's soccer — WSU won 1-0 in Pullman.
Winter sports (UW 3, WSU 2)
• Men's basketball — WSU won all three meetings (75-47 in Pullman, 65-61 in Seattle, 74-64 at Pac-10 tournament).
• Women's basketball — UW won both games (86-64 in Seattle, 81-49 in Pullman).
• Women's swimming — WSU won dual meet 153 ½-108 ½ in Pullman. UW finished eighth at Pac-10 meet, Cougars ninth.
• Men's indoor track — Huskies were first at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship meet. Cougars were seventh.
• Women's indoor track — UW was fourth at Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship meet. Cougars were sixth.
Spring (UW 4, WSU 2, 1 even)
• Baseball — UW swept three-game series in Pullman (5-3, 15-4, 6-5).
• Women's crew — WSU varsity beat Huskies in dual regatta on Snake River; UW overall team was third at Pac-10 regatta and advanced to NCAA championships, where it placed 10th. WSU overall team was seventh at Pac-10 regatta and didn't advance.
• Men's golf — UW was fifth at Pac-10 tournament, Cougars 10th.
• Women's golf — UW was seventh at Pac-10 tournament, Cougars eighth.
• Women's tennis — WSU won 4-3 in Pullman; Huskies won 5-2 in Seattle.
• Men's outdoor track — UW men won dual meet 103-60 and finished sixth at Pac-10 meet. Cougars were seventh at Pac-10 meet. UW was 15th at NCAA championships and Cougars tied for 60th.
• Women's outdoor track — WSU won dual meet 102-61 and placed fifth at Pac-10 meet. Huskies placed ninth. WSU tied for 26th at NCAA championships and Huskies were 59th.
Craig Smith: 206-464-8279 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sam and Sara Lucchese create handmade pasta out of their kitchen-garage adjacent to their Ballard home. Here, they illustrate the final steps in making pappardelle pasta.