What do you expect? he didn’t yell fore
Bubba Watson certainly picked a bad time to take a drop.The two-time Masters champion visited the Saints’ training camp and, given a shot at running a play, let a simple swing pass from Drew Brees slip through his hands.
The Seattle Times
Bubba Watson certainly picked a bad time to take a drop.
The two-time Masters champion visited the Saints’ training camp and, given a shot at running a play, let a simple swing pass from Drew Brees slip through his hands.
“He’s saying QB error. I’m saying receiver error,” Brees told PGA.com. “We’re going to have to practice that. I’m going to have to get him off the course this afternoon and back here for some extra reps.”
• At TheOnion.com: “New study finds running for 20 minutes each day could add years of soreness to life.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “A’s to give Jon Lester prized locker farthest away from raw sewage.”
Stat of the Week
The Steelers drafted four future Hall of Famers in 1974: WR Lynn Swann (1st round), LB Jack Lambert (2nd), WR John Stallworth (4th) and C Mike Webster (5th).
The Seahawks — in 39 years — have drafted two (DT Cortez Kennedy and T Walter Jones) and traded for one (WR Steve Largent).
Pop culture revisited
The Pittsburgh Steelers announced plans to retire Mean Joe Greene’s No. 75 this season.
There won’t be a dry eye at the ceremony when some kid hands Mean Joe a Coca-Cola and Greene tosses the kid his framed jersey.
It took nearly 100 years for MLB pitchers to amass 1 million strikeouts, in 1976 — but just another 38 to reach 2 million.
So step forward to collect your prize if you picked the winning ticket — Indians pitcher Danny Salazar fanning Norichika Aoki for No. 2,000,000 — out of the hat in the office pool.
• NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, on the news that LeBron James will return to wearing his old No. 23 when he returns to Cleveland: “Of course, it was awkward when he discovered that even HE burned his old Cavaliers jersey.”
• Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press, after Queen Elizabeth’s horse tested positive for a banned substance: “It wasn’t her feedbag. She was just holding it for a friend.”
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, after Browns receiver Josh Gordon claimed he’d passed at least 70 drug tests: “Problem is, he’s taken over 1,000.”
• Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, after someone sold an autographed ticket stub from the Lou Gehrig tribute game for $96,500: “Who’s the luckiest man now?”
Cover your ears
Jamie Foxx will reportedly portray ex-heavyweight champ Mike Tyson in an upcoming movie.
Evander Holyfield sound bites, anyone?
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Sideline Chatter | Dwight Perry
Times night-desk editor Dwight Perry uses Sideline Chatter as a not-so-safe haven for the humorous, offbeat and bizarre events and characters that color the sports landscape. His Page 2 column runs Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays in Sports.
email@example.com | 206-464-8250