Just pretending to be the Mile-High hero ... in Nashville
This Peyton Manning facing a strong rush
The Seattle Times
Perhaps the baggie full of Omaha Gold was the first clue.
Police in Nashville, Tenn., have busted an 18-year-old for drug possession — a woman named Peyton Manning.
• At SportsPickle.com: “Michael Pineda caught doctoring the ball during rehab long- toss session.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Amnesty International blasts conditions of NHL penalty boxes.”
This takes the cake
Former hockey tough guy Marty McSorley turned 51 Sunday.
Rumor has it he cross-checked the candles out.
Now it’s a blue state
Nebraska’s new tourism motto — “Nebraska Nice” — was inspired by:
a) the plethora of enjoyable activities statewide
b) a Bo Pelini news conference.
Putin on the ritz
Another Victory Day celebration came and went in Russia on May 9. This year’s parade featured an array of high-tech weapons and a Patriots Super Bowl ring.
Stat of the Week
What home-court advantage? In this year’s NBA playoffs, the Wizards went 1-4 at home and 5-1 on the road.
Road Sweet Road
Albuquerque Isotopes catcher Miguel Olivo went Mike Tyson on teammate Alex Guerrero during a dugout altercation and bit a chunk out of Guerrero’s ear.
Guerrero, we assume, can’t wait to hit the cutoff man.
Winning by a nose
California Chrome will make a run at the Triple Crown after Belmont Park officials lifted their ban on nasal strips.
Rival horses were ecstatic — if this means an end to his incessant snoring around the barn at night.
Flush with pride
Manufacturer Ideal Standard came up with an unusual way to honor Hull City’s first-ever FA Cup final appearance — with a commemorative toilet seat.
Or as it’s known in plumbing-fixture circles, a sit piece.
Talking the talk
• Greg Cote of The Miami Herald, after the Knicks lost out on Stan Van Gundy and Steve Kerr in the coaching carousel: “The good news? I hear Phil Jackson really aced his interview with Phil Jackson.”
• Tom Cuddy of Boston’s WBZ Radio, on the No. 1 song in Boston if Kevin Love — a nephew of Beach Boy Mike Love — becomes a Celtic: “Help Me, Rondo.”
• Pat Forde of Yahoo.com, on Triple Crown hopefuls’ 0-for-12 showing on the third leg since 1979: “It’s so ruthless, the Marquis de Sade thinks the Belmont is cruel.”
Belaboring the point
Colts linebacker Robert Mathis tested positive for a fertility drug, earning himself a four-game suspension.
Or, as eye-for-an-eye advocates prefer to call it, a pregnant pause.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com
About Sideline Chatter | Dwight Perry
Times night-desk editor Dwight Perry uses Sideline Chatter as a not-so-safe haven for the humorous, offbeat and bizarre events and characters that color the sports landscape. His Page 2 column runs Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays in Sports.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 206-464-8250