This Rams draft pick has no problem with Mop-up duty
The Seattle Times
Here’s one safety who figures to clean up a lot of plays.
Mo Alexander — the Rams’ fourth-round draft pick out of Utah State — once worked on the janitorial crew at St. Louis’ Edward Jones Dome.
“Every time I went to work, I always sat on the end of the field and I looked at it like, ‘This could be my dream spot,’ ” he told reporters. “Look where I’m at now.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Karl Ravech surprises wife with beautiful Web Gem.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “NFL saying names dominates TV ratings.”
Cain & Disable Dept.
The Giants put Matt Cain on the disabled list after the pitcher sliced his finger trying to cut a sandwich.
Veteran wags speculate his hand must’ve caught too much of the plate.
Tweet of the Week
From @WillMcAvoyACN: “(Johnny) Manziel is to ESPN what the missing plane is to CNN.”
Pass the ink
Former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel is expected to become the next president of Youngstown State University.
Though it’s not official, a school spokesman warned, until he tattoos his name on a contract.
Feel the Earth move
The risk of earthquakes in Oklahoma is going up dramatically, the U.S. Geological Survey warned last week.
In a related story, the Sooners’ projected offensive line averages 314 pounds a player — a 43-pound increase from the Switzer and Boz Era Sooners of 30 years ago.
Going ... going ... still going
Reds third baseman Todd Frazier uncorked baseball’s longest home run this season on Friday against the Rockies — a 485-foot blast that landed on Great American Ballpark’s riverboat deck out in center field.
Which begs the question: Lower deck? Upper deck? Poop deck?
• Ian Hamilton of the Regina (Sask.) Leader-Post, after NBC agreeing to televise the Olympics through 2032: “Knowing NBC, 2032 ought to be about when the network’s tape-delayed coverage of the 2016 Summer Games ends.”
• CBS’s David Letterman, with a sure sign that a $20 bill is counterfeit: “It’s the size of those giant checks at golf tournaments.”
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, on Johnny Manziel’s draft-day plummet: “He dropped back like Aaron Rodgers.”
• Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, on reports that Angels star Mike Trout eats six hamburgers at one sitting: “After signing a $144.5 million contract, shouldn’t he be able to afford steak?”
Cleveland wideout Josh Gordon is facing a season-long suspension after testing positive for marijuana, ESPN reported.
NFL officials suspected something was amiss when he kept referring to his team as “the Brownies.”
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250
About Sideline Chatter | Dwight Perry
Times night-desk editor Dwight Perry uses Sideline Chatter as a not-so-safe haven for the humorous, offbeat and bizarre events and characters that color the sports landscape. His Page 2 column runs Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays in Sports.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 206-464-8250