They went under cover to come up with this promotion
The Seattle Times
It won’t make anyone forget the 12 Days of Christmas, but ...
The Bakersfield (Calif.) Condors minor-league hockey team got quite a haul for charity during their “Undie Sunday” game when their fans littered the ice after the team’s first goal with:
• 2,773 pairs of underwear;
• 1,747 diapers;
• 1,096 pairs of socks; and
• 55 bras.
• At Fark.com: “Dodgers’ Brian Wilson goes on disabled list; Mike Love immediately called up from Triple A.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Joe Dumars resigns to spend more time rebuilding family.”
FHL, meet WWE
Two Federal Hockey League players were suspended for engaging in a fake fight during a game.
Something was obviously amiss, because one had Bobby “The Brain” Heenan egging him on.
“Late last night a phenomenon occurred that scientists say won’t happen again until next fall,” noted TBS’s Conan O’Brien. “Yeah, that’s right — the Lakers won.”
The NCAA’s legislative council approved a proposal to allow Division I schools to provide unlimited meals and snacks to all athletes.
For the first time in history, college jocks are actually looking forward to more courses.
Paging Roger Kahn
If uber-prospect George Springer pans out like the Angels’ Mike Trout did, just call the Astros the Boys of Springer.
Hop in the pool
“According to a Labor Department report, the U.S. economy added 192,000 jobs in March,” noted Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald. “Of course, most of those were just people joining the work force so they’re eligible for the company NCAA tournament bracket.”
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, on Bubba Watson celebrating his Masters win with a trip to Waffle House: “Unlike Tiger Woods, however, Watson actually went for the food.”
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, after an angler found a 101-year-old message in a bottle in the Baltic Sea: “It was a Cubs fan saying, ‘Wait ’til next year.’ ”
• Blogger Torben Rolfsen, on the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes signing diva receiver Chad Johnson: “Quatre-vingt-cinq!”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, after two Wall Street financiers bought Milwaukee’s last-place NBA team: “There’s a shrewd investment: Over half a billion dollars to get a few lousy Bucks.”
Poor Pete’s cake
Happy birthday to hit king Pete Rose, who turned 73 on Monday.
Charlie Hustle celebrated like he always does, sliding head-first into his birthday cake.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Sideline Chatter | Dwight Perry
Times night-desk editor Dwight Perry uses Sideline Chatter as a not-so-safe haven for the humorous, offbeat and bizarre events and characters that color the sports landscape. His Page 2 column runs Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays in Sports.
email@example.com | 206-464-8250