In the news:
Michael Jordan for two! NBA legend adds twins
The basketball icon became a father again at age 50 last Sunday.
The Seattle Times
Who’s their daddy? Michael Jordan!
The basketball icon became a father again at age 50 last Sunday when his wife Yvette gave birth to twin girls.
NBA spinmeisters can’t decide whether to coin it a single-double or simply Heirs Jordan.
• At SportsPickle.com: “Bob Costas essay rips Vladimir Putin for human-rights abuses, failure to fund pinkeye research.”
• At Fark.com: “Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart suspended 3 games for failing to live up to his name.”
The Big 12 Conference didn’t waste any time suspending Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart for three games for shoving a Texas Tech spectator.
Guess you could say things hit the fan twice in two days.
The motto for the Sochi Winter Olympics is:
a) Hot. Cool. Yours.
b) Putin on the Ritz
Iraq around the clock
State television in Tehran reported that Iran has successfully test-fired a long-range missile.
“Take this with a grain of salt,” noted Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, “because then state television reported that Iran has won every medal at the Winter Olympics.”
From Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press: “How can you get $1 billion?
“a) Pick every game correctly in Dan Gilbert and Warren Buffett’s NCAA tournament pool.
“b) Just bet $10 on the Lions to win next year’s Super Bowl. But now comes the hard part.
“c) Not sure, but if you know, please contact the City of Detroit.
“d) Sign with the Yankees.”
• Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle, on Morehead State basketball player Chad Posthumus: “So far, Posthumus hasn’t picked up any dead-ball fouls. ... If Posthumus winds up as the national rebounding champion, how will the award be awarded?”
• TBS’s Conan O’Brien, on rumors the Russian government placed cameras in Sochi hotel bathrooms: “Russia said, ‘Don’t worry, our cameras don’t work either.’ ”
• Gary Loewen of the Toronto Sun, on the “Hot. Cool. Yours.” slogan: “Which, as a sports motto, sounds more like a reminder to call your furnace repairman.”
• ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel, on the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show: “This year the dogs competed in a variety of categories including talent, evening gown and swimsuit.”
Looking for a big gain
Seahawks defensive end Michael (“This isn’t Costco”) Bennett says the team won’t be getting a home-team discount when it comes time to negotiate his new contract.
In keeping with his stellar 2013 season, he’s demanding enough cash to fill 8.5 sacks.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com
About Sideline Chatter | Dwight Perry
Times night-desk editor Dwight Perry uses Sideline Chatter as a not-so-safe haven for the humorous, offbeat and bizarre events and characters that color the sports landscape. His Page 2 column runs Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays in Sports.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 206-464-8250