Seahawks’ shutout makes Federal Way car deadership shell out
Seahawks’ 23-0 shutout Sunday forced a car dealership to pay a dozen people $35,000 each because of a promotion.
The Seattle Times
Say this for the Seahawks: Their defense is money.
A dozen people won $35,000 apiece in a Federal Way car dealership’s promotion when Seattle shut out the New York Giants on Sunday, 23-0.
“This is crazy,” said Jet Chevrolet co-owner Jim Johnson, whose gamble was covered by an insurance policy. “We never expected that we’d actually be giving away the money.”
Then again, the scoreboard in Jet’s newspaper ad hyping the contest showed Seattle beating New York 24-0.
• At SportsPickle.com: “Dez: ‘Romo should’ve walked off the field 15 minutes early.’ ”
• At Fark.com: “Jamaal Charles 35, Raiders 31.”
The ex in Texas
Looks like the wolves finally got to Mack Brown’s door, forcing his ouster as football coach at Texas. Just call him Mack the Knifed.
“Walking with Dinosaurs 3D” is a new movie about:
a) the Late Cretaceous period 70 million years ago.
b) a free agent joining the George Allen Redskins.
Tees for two
“It has come to my attention there is an LPGA player named Sandra Gal,” wrote Greg Cote of the Miami Herald. “I wonder if she ever met punter Ray Guy?”
Head in passing
Among the top 10 most unusual things heard in a huddle, as presented by Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston on CBS’s Late Show with David Letterman:
• “One of their guys is shoving me!
• “Hey — we match!
• “Guys, I’d rather be alone right now.
• “Crap, wrong team!
• “How many of you guys won the Heisman?”
Head ’em out
I left Sunday’s game early because I didn’t want to be seen crying inside the stadium was the excuse given by:
a) Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant.
b) about 20,000 Dallas fans.
Talking the talk
• Ravens kicker Justin Tucker, to reporters, after booting six field goals — including a last-minute 61-yarder — to beat the Lions: “My fantasy team is benefiting from it. Fantasy owners around the world, I hope you appreciate the points.”
• Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, after Seahawks QB Russell Wilson was claimed in baseball’s Rule 5 draft: “The Texas Rangers now have arguably the best quarterback in Arlington.”
• Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, to reporters, when asked how he’d celebrate Sunday’s win over the Patriots: “I might jump in my pool. I’ve only been in it once since I’ve been here.”
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on the Kentucky man with 1,500 lifetime arrests spending Thanksgiving in jail: “He’s been visited by one brother, two cousins and 19 NFL scouts.”
According to a study by the French business school INSEAD, fans of losing NFL teams are more likely to drown their sorrows with fattier food and pack on unneeded weight.
Coincidence? Houston Texans seat licenses now come with a mammoth shoehorn.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com
About Sideline Chatter | Dwight Perry
Times night-desk editor Dwight Perry uses Sideline Chatter as a not-so-safe haven for the humorous, offbeat and bizarre events and characters that color the sports landscape. His Page 2 column runs Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays in Sports.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 206-464-8250