UConn's Calhoun a quick study when it comes to this class
Mark Twain ... Noah Webster ... Jim Calhoun? Yes, that was the ex-UConn basketball coach joining those literary giants in the 16-member...
The Seattle Times
Mark Twain ... Noah Webster ... Jim Calhoun?
Yes, that was the ex-UConn basketball coach joining those literary giants in the 16-member Connecticut Hall of Fame last month. Don't laugh.
"It only took me 26 years (to get inducted)," Calhoun pointed out to AP, "but it took Mark Twain 150."
• At Fark.com: "Postal Service takes new approach to budget crisis: sue Lance Armstrong for a solid $100 million."
• At SportsPickle.com: "Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on strict losses limit."
36 on the back 9
A course worker found $36,000 on a Miami golf course and turned it in.
That's what you call landing on the green.
Back to school
The 12-team Big Ten is realigning its maligned Leaders and Legends setup, replacing it with East and West divisions.
So now that they've finally aced geography, maybe they can move on to math.
Mike Tyson told WFAN last week that a former girlfriend once cooked one of his pet pigeons and ate it.
Bet he didn't ask her to "just whip something up on the fly" a second time.
Jet Blues Dept.
West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith fired his agent, just days after the NFL draft.
Not sure what ticked him off more — falling out of the first round, or getting taken by the Jets.
The PGA Tour, after input from WADA, says it will drop its punishment of Vijay Singh for using antler spray.
Coincidence? Singh immediately went out and aced a deer-leg left.
Talking the talk
• Comedian Argus Hamilton, on Notre Dame star Manti Te'o getting passed over in the first round: "The NFL draft gives football players a chance for the first time to feel what it's like to be picked last in gym class."
• Comedy writer Tim Hunter, on Prince Willem-Alexander succeeding Queen Beatrix in The Netherlands: "It'll be their country's first king in 120 years — if the NBA approves the move."
• NBC's Jimmy Fallon, on QB Tim Tebow getting released by the New York Jets: "So I guess all that praying finally paid off."
• Rick Reilly of ESPN.com, summing up Tebow's career stats as a Jet: "17 magazine covers, 139 Daily News back-page headlines, 6 completions."
Bolts & Balco
Scientists in Japan have built a baseball-playing robot, and it's certainly authentic.
Its A sample just tested positive for STP.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org