Freeze! He's got an itchy trigger paw
With a best friend like this, who needs enemies? A man in Sebring, Fla., was shot in the leg while driving when his dog kicked a loaded...
The Seattle Times
With a best friend like this, who needs enemies?
A man in Sebring, Fla., was shot in the leg while driving when his dog kicked a loaded pistol lying on the seat of his pickup truck, Highlands Today reported.
No word on whether it was a hunting dog.
• From Times reader Ray Wilson: "Pete Carroll declares all positions open to competition / Seahawks flooded with unemployed coaches' applications."
• At SportsPickle.com: "49ers trade Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick to the Chiefs just to torture Smith."
Hot Lead Dept.
In other Florida gun news, a woman in St. Petersburg escaped with only slight injuries when she tried to preheat an oven to cook some waffles — not knowing that a male friend had stashed a box of bullets in it.
On the bright side, it's the first shooting range in the neighborhood.
A judge in Richmond, B.C., sentenced pee-wee hockey coach Martin Tremblay to 15 days in jail for sticking his leg out in the postgame handshake line and upending two opposing players — ages 10 and 13.
In other words, 21,600 minutes for tripping.
Bambi 1, Biker 0
Cyclist Jeff Plassman was only 15 minutes into the 50-mile Monster Cross and Mountain Bike race in Virginia's Pocahontas State Park when a fast-moving deer crossed his path and sent him sprawling.
Game wardens suspect the critter was simply hopped up on deer-antler spray.
Turn back the clock
Life-expectancy scientists at Germany's Max Planck Institute have determined that — compared to 100 years ago — 72 is the new age 30.
Signs point to another Jamie Moyer comeback: He's not even 21 yet!
Talking the talk
• Comedy writer Tim Hunter, after some pizzas in Denmark were found to contain horse meat: "Police got suspicious when people started betting on Domino's delivery guys."
• Cyclist Jeff Plassman, on his blog, on the deer that came out of nowhere to hit him: "All I saw was fur, sky, ground."
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, after the Brewers' Italian Sausage costume went missing: "Anyone check Joey Chestnut's house?"
Bonus Baby Dept.
And from the "Why, Of Course" File comes word that Twins catcher Joe Mauer and his wife are expecting ... twins.
Good thing Joe didn't catch the daddy bug when he played in Quad Cities.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com