This gives new meaning to a big catch
Add one more catch to Martellus Bennett's season total. The Giants tight end, milling near the stands after Sunday's 38-10 rout of the Packers...
The Seattle Times
Add one more catch to Martellus Bennett's season total.
The Giants tight end, milling near the stands after Sunday's 38-10 rout of the Packers, caught a middle-aged man who leaned out too far and fell over a railing a few feet above.
"I'm usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life," Bennett told USA Today. "He owes me his firstborn or something. Actually I don't want that. Maybe a sandwich or something."
Being No. 1 isn't always a good thing.
According to 247WallSt.com's figures, the Mariners have had the biggest attendance drop-off — 51.4 percent — of any major sports franchise in the past 10 years. Three baseball brethren — t he Indians (38.7), Astros (36.1) and Diamondbacks (32.0) — are 2-3-4, with hockey's Dallas Stars (23.2) fifth.
• At Fark.com: "Auburn football coach fired, will be paid nearly $50k per week for next 3 years to NOT coach / In other news, college football players still not allowed to get a free meal."
• At SportsPickle.com: "Seahawks players suspended / Carroll to flee for USC job."
Attention, St. Peter
Marvin Miller, who turned baseball's player economics upside down when he headed up the Major League Baseball Players Association, has died at age 95.
Bet they'd never heard these words before at the Pearly Gates: "Not so fast. I'm a free agent."
Sounds like a deal
"To take four people to a Dallas Cowboys game with hot dogs and Cokes and some souvenirs will run you $634.78," pointed out Rick Reilly of ESPN.com. "My God, you could get a 50-inch HDTV at Best Buy for $550 and have enough left to buy 84 beers."
Talking the talk
• Utah State linebacker Bojay Filimoeatu, to the Deseret News, on getting tackled on the Idaho 11 after a 48-yard interception return: "I think I could have scored on that had I not eaten that last plate on Thanksgiving."
• Travis Haney of ESPN.com, on what Arkansas is looking for in its next football coach: "Someone like Bobby Petrino. You know, minus the soap opera."
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, after a small earthquake hit New Jersey: "Either that or Gov. Chris Christie has taken up jogging."
• Jerry Greene of the Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel, after commissioner Bud Selig vowed to keep Marlins fans in mind while monitoring Miami's salary-dump trade to the Blue Jays: "And the amazing thing is that his nose didn't grow an inch."
Out of the baseline
Cardinals third baseman David Freese walked away OK after crashing his SUV into a tree after swerving to avoid a deer in the St. Louis suburb of Wildwood, Mo.
For those of you scoring at home, that's an E-5 on a rundown play.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com