Hey coach, why so stingy? | Sideline Chatter
Better hope those football players don't get their calculators out. South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier has championed the idea...
The Seattle Times
Better hope those football players don't get their calculators out.
South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier has championed the idea of paying each D-I school's 85 scholarship players an extra $4,000 or so a year, which pencils out to a player payroll of roughly $340,000.
But still, barely one-tenth of what Spurrier gets paid.
• At Fark.com: "Londoners discover beer prices at 2012 Olympics were set by the N.Y. Yankees."
• At TheOnion.com: "Wrigley Field supporters propose tearing down rest of Chicago."
This just in: L.A. Kings cancel season-ticket sales for next season, announce they're playing all 82 games on the road.
Meg Roh, 13, of Dana Point, Calif., has surfed every day for a year, reaching the 365-day milestone last Friday, the Orange County Register reported.
But she's no beach bum. When she's not hanging 10 on a wave, she's hanging 4.0 in the classroom.
Sports quiz question, from Steve Schrader of the Detroit Free Press:
"As they head into summer, what do the Lions still need the most?
"a) Defensive backs.
"b) Reliable running backs.
"c) Offensive linemen.
"d) Designated drivers."
What he said
"If you are a person who whines, 'C'mon, refs, let the players decide the game,' next time you are the victim of a crime, don't call the cops," wrote Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle. "Work it out with the criminal."
Talking the talk
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on Barry Bonds' desire to work for the Giants in some capacity: "Baseball executives said Bonds will be welcomed back with open arms, just as soon as the commissioner can find jobs for the 1919 Chicago Black Sox."
• RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, on speculation that Lakers forward Pau Gasol would rather play for Chicago: "Not the only Spaniard to want to run with the bulls."
• Tennis star Maria Sharapova, to Reuters, on her disdain for Twitter: "I don't need to let the world know that I'm at this restaurant eating a bowl of pasta."
Hurts so good
Carl Crawford ... Jacoby Ellsbury ... Roy Halladay ... Chipper Jones ... Matt Kemp ... Evan Longoria ... Mariano Rivera ... Troy Tulowitzki ... Jered Weaver ...
So who will trot out the most impressive All-Star lineup come July 10 — AL, NL or DL?
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org