In the news:
Harvard graduates are usually good bets | Sideline Chatter
Banking on Jeremy Lin proves to be easy money.
The Seattle Times
Jeremy Lin: investment vehicle?
Knicks season-holder Yair Rozmaryn made a 2,000 percent profit in just two weeks by flipping an autographed Lin rookie card. He bought it for $1,000 two days after Lin's first NBA start — and sold it for $21,580 on eBay.
It lasted a while
Notable things that happened in sports during the Detroit Red Wings' 23-game home win streak, courtesy of ESPN:
• "Jeremy Lin: member of three NBA teams (Warriors, Rockets, Knicks).
• "Giants: had four-game losing streak and six-game win streak (including playoffs) en route to Super Bowl win.
• "Bobcats: had 15-game losing streak."
Right on the kisser
Talk about tough love.
As actor Liev Schreiber — starring in a soon-to-be released comedy about hockey enforcers — told Canadian Press: "To me, that's what 'Goon' ultimately is, is a love letter to those guys."
Minor-leaguer Angel Villalona is having difficulty getting a visa in his native Dominican Republic, the San Francisco Giants told AP, because of weight issues.
Well, the Statue of Liberty inscription does read "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." No mention of "corpulent."
The bear facts
Turns out the Rays' Zim Bear has its ancestral roots in Seattle. The Mariners rolled out a virtually identical Edgar Martinez Bear in 2004, Martinez's final season.
Fireworks Night at Marlins games? Might be every night, what with combustible manager Ozzie Guillen and flammable hurler Carlos Zambrano in Miami's mix.
"Do I want him to get (ticked off)? Of course I do," Guillen told the Chicago Sun-Times. "But take it easy, tiger. Like I say, in Venezuela, there's the bull and the matador. He will be dead in two seconds, because I know how to kill the bull at the right time."
Talking the talk
• Bob Molinaro of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, on the overemphasis on 40 times for NFL quarterback prospects: "Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can't outrun the cast of 'The Biggest Loser,' and they've done pretty well for themselves."
• Blogger Chad Picasner, after new Pirates pitcher A.J. Burnett said he wants to be "unstoppable" this season: "You were unstoppable last year, A.J. You led the majors in wild pitches with 25, your third time leading the league."
• Carl Steward of the Oakland Tribune, on word that Manny Ramirez will wear uniform No. 1 with the A's this season: "Somewhere, Billy Martin is punching the lid of a box."
• Mike Bianchi of the Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel, not impressed that Nike founder Phil Knight will be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame: "Since when do shoe salesmen get into the Hall of Fame? Who's next — Al Bundy or Buster Brown?"
His bags were packed
Who says you can't take it with you?
Raiders owner Al Davis died in October. Oakland doesn't have first-, second-, third-, fourth- or seventh-round draft picks this April.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org