Unfortunately, this shave was too close for comfort
Broadneck High School of Annapolis, Mid., lost its Anne Arundel County girls swimming title after it was discovered that a team member violated a rule by shaving at the site of the meet — and any points she scored were forfeited.
The Seattle Times
Talk about a bad case of razor burn.
Broadneck High School of Annapolis, Md., lost its Anne Arundel County girls swimming title after it was discovered that a team member violated a rule by shaving at the site of the meet — and any points she scored were forfeited.
On the bright side, the Bruins became the first swim team ever credited with a quality start and a blown shave.
NASCAR driver Danica Patrick told reporters not to call her a sex symbol:
a) during a break in qualifying for Sunday's Daytona 500.
b) immediately after a bikini change at her latest photo shoot.
Goodie but oldie
Happy birthday to Julius Erving, who turned 62 on Wednesday.
This make you feel old? The Doctor is just three years away from Medicare.
• At TheOnion.com: "Little League World Series to begin testing players for mustaches."
• At SportsPickle.com: "Every pitcher and catcher feeling pretty sore after yesterday's jumping jacks."
The 11 players — in the NBA, NHL, MLB or NFL — paid more than 10 times their contemporaries' average salary, according to 24/7 Wall St.:
11) Alex Rodriguez (10.18 times)
10) Babe Ruth (10.66)
9) Bobby Hull (10.8)
8) Sergei Fedorov (10.85)
7) Wayne Gretzky (11.07)
6) Ted Williams (11.11)
5) Joe Montana (11.23)
4) Mario Lemieux (11.5)
3) Ty Cobb (12.59)
2) Michael Jordan (13.98)
1) Joe Sakic (14.56)
Not sitting pretty
And from the You Can't Have A Circus Without The Animals File comes this fact: The Spurs' Gregg Popovich — who gets a slew of votes in any discussion about the NBA's best coach — is 0-6 when Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker don't play.
Talking the talk
• Yankees reliever David Robertson, to MLB.com, on speculation this could be Mariano Rivera's last season: "He may have hinted, but you never know. He could Brett Favre us."
• Jazz center Al Jefferson, to The Salt Lake Tribune, after erupting for 26 first-half points against the Wizards: "Once that right hand gets going, even I can't stop it."
• Belarusian tennis star Victoria Azarenka, to a reporter in Qatar who asked about her on-court grunting: "Do you snore?"
• Times reader Bill Littlejohn, after Raiders QB Jason Campbell called off his wedding at the last minute: "Jenny is reportedly trying to work out a trade for Carson Palmer."
Dan Lariviere landed headfirst and knocked himself cold after he missed with a flying switch-kick during an MMA fight in Montreal last Saturday.
Alert ring historians immediately credited him with a Me-KO.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com