Dan Marino withdraws from concussion lawsuit against league
Shortly after being the biggest name on a new concussion lawsuit against the NFL, Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino issued a statement saying he is withdrawing from the suit.
Marino withdraws from suit
Days after being the biggest name on a new concussion lawsuit against the league, Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino issued a statement saying he is withdrawing from the suit.
“Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma,” the former Miami Dolphins superstar said Tuesday. “In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL.
“I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately.”
The suit was filed about three months after the 52-year-old Marino was fired by CBS Sports, which is a broadcast partner with the NFL.
The idea Marino would initially be part of the suit raised questions about his potential for joining the Dolphins in a future front-office capacity.
Marino suffered two known concussions during his 17-year career, including one in a 19-17 victory over the Seahawks in Seattle in 1992.
“He couldn’t even remember who won the game,” former Dolphins equipment manager Bobby Monica recalled.
Bills’ Dareus to take time off
Buffalo defensive tackle Marcell Dareus is taking the next two weeks off from voluntary practices as he faces criminal charges for the second time in a month.
Dareus, 24, crashed his 2012 Jaguar into a tree while allegedly racing another car Friday. According to Hamburg Town, N.Y., police, Dareus was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment. He was ticketed for several traffic violations, including drag racing.
The accident occurred about a month after Dareus was arrested in his home state of Alabama and charged with possession of synthetic marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
Police are investigating whether Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes, 25, was driving the vehicle Dareus allegedly was racing against.
Costanzo returns to 49ers
Linebacker Blake Costanzo, an asset on special teams, rejoined the San Francisco 49ers — signing about 2½ years after leaving the team to play for the Chicago Bears.
Costanzo, 30, got a one-year contract for $855,000.
Saban’s contract is official
A unanimous vote by the Alabama system trustees’ compensation committee made Alabama coach Nick Saban’s new eight-year, $55.2 million deal official nearly six months after it was announced by the university.
Saban, 62, will make $6.5 million in base pay and what the university describes as a “talent fee,” plus a $400,000 completion bonus for each season, plus incentives.
Elsewhere in the Southeastern Conference, Texas A&M has dismissed linebacker Darian Claiborne and defensive lineman Isaiah Golden and Georgia dropped safety Tray Matthews.
Claiborne and Golden were arrested on drug charges in recent months. Matthews, who has been charged with illegally cashing scholarship checks, wrote on Twitter he plans to transfer to Auburn or Louisville.
Bennett has new 7-year deal
Virginia wants to keep men’s coach Tony Bennett for many more years.
School officials announced Bennett has signed a new seven-year contract that goes through the 2020-21 season. The deal increases his salary and supplemental income to $1.924 million per year, up from $1.7 million.
Bennett, 45, is 106-60 in five seasons with Virginia, which was 30-7 last season. He previously coached Washington State.
“I love coaching at the University of Virginia and living in Charlottesville where the community has been wonderful to my family,” Bennett said in a news release.
Florida wins NCAA title
Fifth-seeded Florida beat second-seeded Alabama 6-3 to sweep the best-of-three final at the Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City.
Florida (55-12) won its first NCAA softball championship.
• David Beckham, 39, said he might come out of retirement.
The former England soccer captain, who retired last year after a final stint at Paris Saint-Germain, said in a BBC documentary he had “a tough time” after hanging up his cleats.
Beckham, who is trying to launch a Major League Soccer team and build a stadium in Miami, said “there’s never been a player-owner, but maybe?”
• Bosnia and Herzegovina beat Mexico 1-0 in a pre-World Cup soccer exhibition before 60,707 at Soldier Field in Chicago.
• Erika de Souza had 27 points and 11 rebounds to lead host Atlanta to a 93-85 WNBA victory over the Los Angeles Sparks.
• Scott Flory, president of the Canadian Football League Players’ Association, said a work stoppage is closer after the league rejected the union’s most recent offer for a new labor deal.
“Our guys are insulted and upset by what’s going on,” Flory said.
The regular season is scheduled to start June 26.
Seattle Times news services