Rookies Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III have similar outings | NFL
Washington beat the Indianapolis Colts 30-17 in one of the most anticipated games of the exhibition season, as it matched rookie quarterbacks who were the first two players drafted this year.
LANDOVER, Md. — Andrew Luck stepped up in the pocket to avoid the rush, then put a ball down the left side into the arms of fellow rookie T.Y. Hilton for a 31-yard touchdown, wrapping up an 80-yard drive for the Indianapolis Colts.
Robert Griffin III took a high-and-wide shotgun snap and drifted to the right to find Santana Moss for a 4-yard score for the Washington Redskins, also at the end of an 80-yard drive.
It was a virtual draw between the quarterbacks who were the top two picks in this year's draft. No interceptions or fumbles. Just a display of poise and promise Saturday as Washington beat the Colts 30-17 in one of the most anticipated games of the exhibition season.
No. 1 pick Luck of Stanford completed 14 of 23 passes for 151 yards, had a quarterback rating of 94.7 and said, "I'm not happy."
Heisman Trophy winner Griffin of Baylor went 11 for 17 for 74 yards and had a 93.7 rating. Both QBs played one series into the third quarter, with Washington ahead 14-7 when the subs took over.
Of comparisons with Luck, Griffin said, "It's going to be there for our entire careers."
DeCastro is injured
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — David DeCastro, rookie right guard for the Pittsburgh Steelers, was carted off the field after hurting his right knee early in a 38-7 victory at Buffalo.
DeCastro, a Bellevue High School graduate, played at Stanford and was the 24th player drafted this year.
DeCastro was hurt while pass-blocking on Pittsburgh's second possession and coach Mike Tomlin said the injury is "potentially severe."
• Host Oakland beat the Detroit Lions 31-20 and Lions QB Matthew Stafford left with an injury to his non-throwing hand. X-rays on the hand were negative.
• New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees was 17 of 25 for 179 yards and two touchdowns as the host Saints beat Houston 34-27. Matt Schaub completed 15 of 18 passes for 194 yards and a touchdown for the Texans.
• Tony Romo was 9 of 13 for 198 yards and two touchdowns to help the Dallas Cowboys edge visiting St. Louis 20-19. Dwayne Harris of the Cowboys had TD receptions of 61 and 38 yards.
• Erik Folk, who kicked for the Washington Huskies last season and signed with Atlanta in June, was cut by the Falcons.
• Tampa Bay offensive lineman Davin Joseph, 28, has a torn right patellar tendon and will have surgery that will sideline him for the season. The two-time Pro Bowl selection was injured during Friday's 30-28 victory over New England.