Miami's Brandon Marshall reportedly is stabbed by his wife | NFL
Miami Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall spent part of Saturday in the intensive-care unit of a hospital after his wife on Friday night reportedly stabbed him in the abdomen with a kitchen knife at the couple's home.
Miami Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall spent part of Saturday in the intensive-care unit of Broward General Medical Center after his wife on Friday night reportedly stabbed him in the abdomen with a kitchen knife at the couple's home in Southwest Ranches, Fla.
Michi Nogami-Marshall, 26, told authorities from the Broward County Sheriff's Office she stabbed her husband "out of self-defense," according to a sheriff's office arrest report. Police charged her with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.
Marshall, meanwhile, was taken to the hospital, where he was released Saturday afternoon. A source close to the situation said Marshall, 27, is "physically fine," downplaying the significance of his wounds. The stabbing didn't injure Marshall's vital organs, the source said.
Police booked Nogami-Marshall at the Broward County main jail, where she was released after posting a $7,500 bond.
A judge ordered her not to have any contact with Marshall until there is a hearing in the case.
This is the second domestic dispute between Marshall and his wife that resulted in an arrest. Marshall was arrested in March 2009 after a dispute with his wife, who was his fiancée at the time, in Atlanta.
After the latest incident, Marshall originally told authorities he had been injured when he slipped and fell into a broken vase, according to the sheriff's office report. Police said they found no blood near the broken glass.
Police arrested Marshall's wife because authorities concluded she had been "the aggressor" in a dispute, according to the source. After Nogami-Marshall was placed under arrest, she reportedly admitted to the stabbing.
Amid a media frenzy Saturday that set off speculation about Marshall's condition, his agent, Kennard McGuire, released a statement that asked for privacy.
"This is a very difficult time for Brandon and his family," McGuire said in the statement. "Thankfully he will make a full recovery. We simply ask during this time that we respect his privacy."
The Dolphins initially weren't allowed official contact with Marshall, given the rules of the NFL lockout. But league officials allowed team personnel to check in on Marshall's status.
"We are aware of the report," team spokesman Harvey Greene said in a statement. "And our thoughts are with Brandon at this time. We will look into the matter. But because we are not allowed to have any contact with any of our players, we will refrain from making any further comment."
Marshall last season signed a four-year contract worth $47.5 million after the Dolphins acquired him in a trade with Denver. Last season, he received $9.5 million of that contract.
There is a provision in his contract that allows the Dolphins to opt out of the deal by paying him $3 million one month into the league's new calendar year — a timetable that is on hold because of the lockout.
The domestic dispute represents the latest in a long line of off-the-field woes for Marshall.
Marshall, a two-time Pro Bowl selection who led the Dolphins last season with 86 receptions for 1,014 yards, has been arrested at least six times since October 2004. Charges against him have included assault on a police officer, retail theft, suspicion of domestic violence, driving under the influence of alcohol and misdemeanor battery.
He has been arrested at least three times amid domestic disputes involving women — including the one arrest in March 2009 that involved Nogami-Marshall. The majority of the domestic-violence charges against Marshall were reduced or dropped.
Marshall also testified he helped instigate a fight Jan. 1, 2007, that led to the shooting death of Darrent Williams, one of Marshall's teammates in Denver.
During his time with the Broncos, the NFL in August 2008 suspended Marshall for three games for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. The suspension was reduced to one game after an appeal.
Seattle Times transportation reporter Mike Lindblom describes some of the factors that may have led to the collapse of the I-5 bridge over the Skagit River in Mount Vernon on Thursday, May 23.