THE SEATTLE TIMES ARCHIVE
The Seattle skyline from the King Street coal bunkers in 1913, the year the Smith Tower's steel frame was finished. When Smith Tower opened the following year, on July 4, 1914, it was the fourth-tallest building in the world at 42 stories, 522 feet tall. The towers of St. James Cathedral can be seen on First Hill in the distance.
is an occasional feature, highlighting images from The Seattle Times historical archive.
For more postcards from the past and links to other posts, visit the gallery