Advertising

The Seattle Times Company

NWjobs | NWautos | NWhomes | NWsource | Free Classifieds | seattletimes.com

Pacific Northwest


Our network sites seattletimes.com | Advanced

Originally published Saturday, October 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Comments (0)     E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share

Now & Then

Duwamish fireboat was a savior and a showboat

Seattle's fireboat, the Duwamish, was used to shoot tons of water onto fires in Elliott Bay and along the waterfront in the early 1900s. But more often, it was used to show off its powers for city celebrations and to welcome visiting ships and dignitaries. It became a national historic landmark.

SEATTLE'S SECOND fireboat, the Duwamish, is now a century old, and although no longer chasing waterfront or waterborne fires, it apparently could be — with a 100-year tuneup. Instead, its ironclad 120 feet floats in a slip beside the lightship Swiftsure at South Lake Union Park, accepting visitors and hoping for enthused volunteers.

The Duwamish was built nearby in Richmond Beach, and its designer, naval architect Eugene McAllaster, made the boat strong enough to ram and sink burning wooden vessels (if need be) and flat enough to chase fires bordering shallow tideflats. He equipped the Duwamish to break records in shooting water — eventually 1.6 tons of it a second. However, it was a power used more often for water shows during city celebrations or for welcoming visiting ships.

Launched July 3, 1909, it was then delivered to waterfront Fire Station No. 5, here at the foot of Madison Street. Soon after the Duwamish took to its slip, the largest wooden dock on the Pacific Coast was built directly south of it. The short-lived Grand Trunk Pacific dock is seen here sometime before July 30, 1914, when it was consumed in a spectacular fire. While the combined barrage from the water canons of the Duwamish and the Snoqualmie, a smaller sister vessel, could not save the Grand Trunk Pacific, they are credited with keeping its neighbors, including Fire Station No. 5, from igniting.

During World War II, the Duwamish was a Coast Guard patrol boat, then returned to its original service. In 1986, one year after its retirement, the Duwamish was added to the list of Seattle landmarks, and three years later was made a National Historic Landmark as well.

Check out Paul Dorpat and Jean Sherrard's blog at www.pauldorpat.com.

E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share

More Pacific NW

Seattle's parks in peril: the choices are to shrink, skimp or pay up

Taste: Muffuletta sandwiches are the Big Easy's best

Plant Life: Seattle's Fisher House offers a place of peace

NEW - 7:00 PM
Wine Adviser: Some good Washington wineries got away

Destinations - A Traveler's Glimpse: Earth Hour: lights out to make a difference

More Pacific NW headlines...

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Comments
No comments have been posted to this article.

advertising


Get home delivery today!

Video

Advertising

AP Video

Entertainment | Top Video | World | Offbeat Video | Sci-Tech

Marketplace

Advertising