Splish, splash! Where to get wet this summer
A roundup of swimming beaches and outdoor pools open in summer around Seattle and Puget Sound.
Lifeguards on duty at the following locations. Free swimming lessons available weekdays, check at each location; beaches open noon-7 p.m. weekdays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekends, weather permitting.
Lifeguards June 25-Sept. 5:
• West Green Lake, 7312 W. Green Lake Drive;
• Madison, 1900 43rd Ave. E.;
• Matthews, 9300 51st Ave. N.E.;
• Mount Baker, 2301 Lake Washington Blvd. S.;
Lifeguards June 25-Aug. 28:
• East Green Lake, 7201 E. Green Lake Drive N.;
• Magnuson Park, 7400 Sand Point Way N.E.;
• Madrona, 853 Lake Washington Blvd.;
• Seward, 5902 Lake Washington Blvd. S.;
• Pritchard Island Beach, 8400 55th Ave. S.
Lifeguards June 26-Aug. 28, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily at Luther Burbank Park, 2040 84th Ave. S.E.
The following beaches will be unguarded:
• Calkins Landing, 6000 S.E. 28th St.;
• Clarke Beach, 7700 E. Mercer Way;
• Groveland Beach, 8000 S.E. 58th St.
More information: 206-275-7609 or www.mercergov.org).
Lifeguards June 18-Sept. 5:
• Newcastle Beach Park, noon-7 p.m., 4400 Lake Washington Blvd. N.E.;
• Meydenbauer Beach Park, noon-7 p.m., 419 98th Ave. N.E.
Lifeguards June 25-Aug. 28:
• Chesterfield Beach Park, 2-5 p.m., weather permitting, 2501 100th Ave. S.E.;
• Enatai Beach Park, noon-7 p.m., 3519 S.E. 108th Ave. S.E.;
• Chism Beach Park, noon-7 p.m., 1175 96th Ave. N.E.;
• Clyde Beach Park, noon-7 p.m., 2-92nd Ave. N.E.
More information: 425-452-4444 or www.cityofbellevue.org.
Lifeguards July 1-Sept. 5, weather permitting:
• Houghton Beach Park, with swimming raft, picnic tables; lifeguards on duty 1-6 p.m.; 5811 Lake Washington Blvd. N.E.;
• Waverly Beach Park, with fishing dock, picnic areas; lifeguards on duty 2-5 p.m., open year round, open dawn to 10 p.m.; 633 Waverly Park Way.
For more information: 425-587-3300 or www.ci.kirkland.wa.us.
Lifeguards June 22-Sept. 5, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily at Idylwood Beach, with play structure, concessions stand, picnic shelter and adult lap swim area, 3650 W. Lake Sammamish Parkway N.E. (425-556-2300 or www.redmond.gov).
Lifeguards June 18-Sept. 5, noon-8 p.m. daily, at Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park, with 1.5-mile paved walking path along the shoreline, 1201 Lake Washington Blvd. N. (425-430-6700 or www.rentonwa.gov).
Martha Lake Community Park, swim area with beach, dock, life vests available, no lifeguards, daylight hours daily, 16300 E. Shore Drive (425-741-8357 or www.co.snohomish.wa.us).
Seattle Swimming lessons, water exercises, public swims and special events, 50-foot corkscrew slide and little pool with warm, shallow water. Hours vary, call for information, 2535 32nd Ave. W. (206-684-4708 or www.seattle.gov/parks/pools.asp).
Seattle 50-meter, heated, saltwater pool with giant tube slide, on the waterfront at Lincoln Park, daily, call for hours, Lincoln Park, 8603 Fauntleroy Way S.W., $2.50-$4.75 (206-684-7494 or www.seattle.gov/parks/pools.asp).
Henry Moses Aquatic Center
Renton Two pools, 9,000-square-foot leisure pool with wave machine, water play structure, water slides, 3,300-square-foot six-lane lap pool, cafe; open June 18-Sept. 5, noon-3:30 p.m. and 4-7:30 p.m. daily, plus lap swim 6-8 a.m. Monday-Friday, 7:45-8:45 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Saturday-Sunday; Cedar River Park, 1719 Maple Valley Highway, Renton; $4-$14, season passes available (425-430-6780 or www.rentonwa.gov).
Peter Kirk Pool
Kirkland Public swims and swimming lessons, daily, call for hours, 340 Kirkland Ave., Kirkland; $4 (425-587-3335 or www.ci.kirkland.wa.us).
Cottage Lake Pool
Woodinville Open swims, lap swims, lessons and water-exercise classes, registration for swimming lessons available, opens June 18, call for hours, 18831 N.E. Woodinville-Duvall Road, Woodinville (425-485-9797 or www.ymcaseattle.org).
McCollum Park Pool
Everett Public swims and swimming lessons, daily, call for hours, 600 128th St. S.E., Everett; $4 (425-388-6600 or www.snoco.org).
Vashon Swimming lessons, open swims and classes, grand opening 1-4 p.m. May 28, then June 21-Sept. 5, hours vary, call for further information, 9625 S.W. 204th St., Vashon; $5 (206-463-3787 or www.vashonparkdistrict.org).
Compiled by Doug Knoop, email@example.com
Seattle Times transportation reporter Mike Lindblom describes some of the factors that may have led to the collapse of the I-5 bridge over the Skagit River in Mount Vernon on Thursday, May 23.