Bike a trail, listen to chamber music in the Methow
A 200-kilometer trail system set amid breathtaking scenery. The rural towns of Winthrop, Twisp and Mazama offer charming accommodations and access to extensive trails that bring out cross-country skiers...
Toting up the gas billTo calculate the gas cost for these trips, we used EPA highway mileage figures for the 2008 Toyota Prius (45 mpg) and 2008 Lincoln Navigator 2WD (18 mpg). Results were based on a gasoline price of $3.75 per gallon.
What's the draw?
A 200-kilometer trail system set amid breathtaking scenery. The rural towns of Winthrop, Twisp and Mazama offer charming accommodations and access to extensive trails that bring out cross-country skiers in winter and hikers and cyclists in summer. Fly-fishing, golf and horseback riding also are options. It takes time to get there, but the scenery and activities are worth the trip.
What's new this summer?
The Methow Valley Chamber Music Festival has a new artistic director and will feature chamber ensembles Finisterra Trio and Biava Quartet. The festival runs from July 25 to Aug. 3. $22; 509-996-6000 or www.methowmusicfestival.org.
If you go
Miles from Seattle: 232 to Twisp
Round-trip gas cost for Prius hybrid*: $38.67
Round-trip gas cost for Navigator SUV*: $96.67
Lodging worth a look:
• Sun Mountain Lodge, Winthrop. This world-class lodge offers hilltop scenery; lush amenities including a spa, swimming pools and horseback riding; plus fine dining. $205-$405 for guest rooms, $330-$840 for cabins and suites June 13-Oct. 18; two-night minimum on weekends. 800-572-0493 or www.sunmountainlodge.com.
• Mazama Country Inn, Mazama. Get an affordable room in the lodge or choose from a wide variety of cabins available from this comfortable, rustic inn. It also offers a restaurant and proximity to the trails. $90-$140 for August Saturday for rooms in the lodge, $140-$400 for cabins; 800-843-7951 or www.mazamacountryinn.com.
• Twisp River Inn, Twisp. Head to this log building for an affordable room in a rural setting several miles outside of town. The inn also offers horse boarding and proximity to riding trails. Rooms start at $75, including breakfast; 509-997-4011 or www.twispriverinn.com.
Dining you won't likely regret:
• Sun Mountain Lodge dining room. Even if you can't stay at Sun Mountain, you can eat there, with fine-dining fare such as housemade gnocchi or Angus beef tenderloin. 604 Patterson Lake Road, Winthrop, www.sunmountainlodge.com.
• Twisp River Pub. Pub grub with a Twisp, with choices like a chili-lime pork sandwich and roasted garlic Marsala fettuccine that you can wash down with handcrafted beer. 201 N. Highway 20, Twisp, www.methowbrewing.com/food.html.
-- Nicole Tsong, Seattle Times staff reporter
Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
NEW - 7:51 PM
Special interest? There is a camp for that
Sam and Sara Lucchese create handmade pasta out of their kitchen-garage adjacent to their Ballard home. Here, they illustrate the final steps in making pappardelle pasta.