Coffee is West Galer's lifeblood
The folks in upper Queen Anne must be among the most caffeinated bunch in the city. Seven coffee shops around its main drag, Queen Anne...
Seattle Times staff reporter
Microhoods | A look at changing neighborhoods, a block at a time
The folks in upper Queen Anne must be among the most caffeinated bunch in the city. Seven coffee shops around its main drag, Queen Anne Avenue, and that's not including the Starbucks inside the Safeway. You can also get your caffeine fix at the Tea Cup.
No wonder those dog walkers and moms with baby strollers sound so perky every morning.
Lately though, locals are walking and driving to another neighborhood corner, West Galer Street, just off the main drag.
1. Trader Joe's, 112 W. Galer St. This will always be known as the Trader Joe's block. (Don't believe us. Just call any other business on Galer Street for directions and the answer will be "we're a stone's throw from Trader Joe's.") Sure, the Polynesian-themed grocery chain features a wide selection of affordable wines. But repeat after us, "I will not buy Two-buck Chuck."
2. Caffé Fioré, 224 W. Galer St. Young professionals stop here for their cup of joe before work. Freelance writers call this their office and Seattle Pacific University students plop their textbooks out on the tables by late afternoon. Free Wi-Fi. Organic and fair-trade coffee. The hippest coffee house in the hood with artsy baristas. We know this is going to start a debate, but Fiore makes the best cappuccino on the hill.
3. Via Tribunali, 317 W. Galer St. The much-anticipated Neapolitan-style pizzeria with the iconic dome-shaped wood-fire oven finally opened last summer. With an impressive wine menu, too. Just don't get the locals started about the parking congestion.
4. Mes Amis Pet Boutique, 321 W. Galer St. So many pedestrians walk their dogs in this 'hood, you knew a posh pet pampering pit stop would pop up. Accessories for the poodle who needs some bling. Dog beds, frosted cookies, matching collars and leashes.
5. Top Pot Doughnuts, 325 W. Galer St. The latest arrival and already it's drawing crowds every morning for its handmade doughnuts and — what else? — coffee. It's spring, which to dorky Top Pot fanatics means the arrival of the Cherry Blossom doughnut, a cherry-glazed piece of heaven.
Tan Vinh: 206-515-5656 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
NEW - 7:51 PM
Special interest? There is a camp for that
Furniture & home furnishings
$2200 Akc french bulldog puppies for sale c...
1 Year old AKC Yellow Lab Female
12 Band Saw
POST A FREE LISTING