Woods says Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on | A.M. Briefing
Sergio Garcia apologized to Tiger Woods for saying he would serve fried chicken if they were to have dinner at the U.S. Open, an ugly addition...
Garcia apologizes for 'hurtful' comment to Woods
Sergio Garcia apologized to Tiger Woods for saying he would serve fried chicken if they were to have dinner at the U.S. Open, an ugly addition to nearly two weeks of verbal sparring.
What had been a celebration of European golf at an awards dinner south of London shifted suddenly to a racially sensitive moment involving Woods, the No. 1 golfer in the world and the only player of African-American heritage on the PGA Tour.
Garcia said he meant to give a funny answer to a playful question, and it turned out to be "totally stupid and out of place."
"I feel sick about it, and I feel truly, truly sorry," he said Wednesday from the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth, site of the European Tour's flagship event.
The two golfers have exchanged barbs the last 11 days, dating to the third round of The Players Championship when Garcia implied that Woods purposely stirred up the gallery as the Spaniard was playing a shot. Woods said it was not surprising that Garcia was complaining.
Garcia and his Ryder Cup teammates were at a dinner Tuesday night when the emcee, Golf Channel's Steve Sands, jokingly asked Garcia if he would have Woods over for dinner during the U.S. Open.
"We'll have him round every night," Garcia replied. "We will serve fried chicken."
Garcia issued a statement through the European Tour after the dinner that did not mention Woods by name. He apologized "for any offense that may have been caused" by answering the question with a "silly remark."
"But in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner," the statement said.
Woods responded Wednesday morning with a series of tweets that said: "The comment that was made wasn't silly. It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate. I'm confident that there is real regret the remark was made. The Players ended nearly two weeks ago, and it's long past time to move on and talk about golf."
Krzyzewski will remain
U.S. men's basketball coach
Duke's Mike Krzyzewski has decided to remain coach of the U.S. men's Olympic basketball team.
Krzyzewski will try to lead the Americans to a third straight gold medal, a person with knowledge of the decision said Wednesday. Originally expected to step down, Krzyzewski will hold a news conference to confirm his return Thursday at Duke, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because no official announcement has been made.
The Hall of Fame coach has led the Americans since 2005, winning gold at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, and the 2010 world basketball championship.
• Oregon received a formal notice of allegations in December related to the NCAA investigation into its use of recruiting services.
The notice, released in response to public-records requests and first reported by The Register-Guard, follows reports that Oregon already met with the NCAA Committee on Infractions last month.
The NCAA has been looking into payments Oregon made to recruiting services, including a $25,000 payment to Willie Lyles and Houston-based Complete Scouting Services in 2011.
• Giovanni Visconti won the 17th stage of the Giro d'Italia to claim another solo victory, and Vincenzo Nibali retained the overall lead.
• A day after New York City FC was born, Claudio Reyna became the team's first employee.
The former U.S. national team captain was hired as NYCFC's director of football and tasked with the job of putting together an on-field staff and roster for Major League Soccer's 2015 season.
• The British Horseracing Authority has been banned Irish jockey Eddie Ahern for 10 years for violating corruption rules.
Seattle Times news services