UW's Cheng-Tsung Pan loses at U.S. Publinx | NW Briefs
Cheng-Tsung Pan's run at the 87th U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship ended when he lost 1-up to Xander Schauffele in the match-play round of 32.
MIDWAY, Utah — Cheng-Tsung Pan's run at the 87th U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship ended Thursday when he lost 1-up to Xander Schauffele in the match-play round of 32.
Pan, a freshman All-American this spring at the University of Washington, lost despite playing bogey-free golf.
Schauffele, a Long Beach State golfer, broke a deadlock with a birdie on the par-4 15th hole. Both birdied No. 16 and parred the final two holes.
Alex Williams, a former UW assistant coach, lost 6 and 5 to UCLA's Anton Arboleda.
• Top-seeded Carl Jonson of Bainbridge reached the quarterfinals of the Pacific Northwest Men's Amateur at Wine Valley GC in Walla Walla with two match-play victories. He'll face Seattle's Blake Snyder. Other quarterfinalists include Seattle's Ryan Books and Olympia's Jarred Bossio. Charlie Mroz of Woodinville and Jacob Webb of Issaquah lost in the round of 16.
• Washington State's men's team will play five games in a tour of Australia that will take them to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Cairns Aug. 5-16.
• Shawn Reid, a 6-foot-5 forward who averaged 10.6 points for Montana State last season, is transferring to Seattle Pacific for his junior season. He is immediately eligible.
• The date for the final race of the unlimited season in Doha, Qatar was moved back to Jan. 10-12. The next three series stops are July 27-29 in the Tri-Cities, Aug. 3-5 in Seattle and Aug. 31-Sept. 1 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho.
• UW's Rob Munn of Redmond and the U.S. men's eight won their heat as they began defense of their gold medal at the Under 23 World Championships in Lithuania. Cara Linnenkohl of Redmond and her partner reached the semis in women's double sculls. In women's pair, Anna Kaminski of Seattle and her partner placed third in the repechage and will race for places 7-9.
From sports-information reports.