Many of Pete Sampras' trophies have been stolen | Tennis
Pete Sampras has been robbed of the majority of trophies, medals, plaques, crystal and rings that are a testament to a tennis career that brought a then-record 14 major titles and status as one of the greatest to play the sport.
Items were stolen from storage facility: Retired superstar Pete Sampras has been robbed of the majority of trophies, medals and rings that are a testament to a career that brought a then-record 14 major titles and status as one of the greatest to play the sport.
Three weeks ago, Sampras found out dozens of boxes containing these symbols of his career had been stolen.
"I have 13 of my 14 Grand Slam trophies," he told the Los Angeles Times. "Some are at home and some up at NikeTown (in Oregon). My first Australian Open trophy is gone, and so is everything else."
Seven Wimbledon, five U.S. Open and one Australian Open trophy remain.
"Everything else" includes trophies for winning 64 Tour tournaments, and finalist hardware from 24 others. It includes what he was presented for winning five season-ending ATP World Tour titles, for being on two Davis Cup winners and for taking 11 ATP Masters event titles. It includes an Olympic ring, seven ESPYs and six trophies awarded to the player who finished No. 1 in the year-end rankings. Sampras, who is 39, did that from 1993 to 1998.
The items were stolen from a storage facility in West Los Angeles. Sampras, who had rented two units, stored furniture and the boxes of memorabilia. All, except for some large furniture, was taken.
"We've had some housing issues," Sampras said, "and we stored things while we were sorting that out."
Sampras said he never considered his items wouldn't be safe.
"I was, like, 'What?' " he said. "I thought there were security cameras. I thought these things were locked up tight. I was shocked."
Sampras said police have no leads, but encouraged him to go public in the hope somebody who knows somebody who heard something might come forward.
Kane could miss three weeks: Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane, 22, could be out for up to three weeks with a leg injury he suffered after hitting the boards in Sunday's victory over Calgary.
Kane, who scored the clinching goal in the Blackhawks' victory over Philadelphia in the Stanley Cup Final in June, was hurt after he was checked by Calgary's Cory Sarich. Sarich is a former Seattle Thunderbird.
Blues' McDonald to be out indefinitely: St. Louis center Andy McDonald, 33, has a concussion and will be sidelined indefinitely. He was hurt during the Blues' 2-1 overtime loss Saturday in Edmonton after he hit a rut in the ice and crashed into the leg of Oilers player Shawn Horcoff in overtime.
TV negotiations: Commissioner Gary Bettman said the league is in a 90-day exclusive negotiation period with Versus network that goes through the end of January, and then the league will head into an exclusive negotiation period with NBC.
Ex-junior coach James to be granted bail: A judge in Canada will grant bail to disgraced former junior coach Graham James, 58. who is facing new sex charges.
James faces nine charges stemming from alleged incidents between 1979 and 1994 involving three boys, including former NHL All-Star Theo Fleury.
James served more than a year in jail in the late 1990s for assaulting three young players, including Sheldon Kennedy, who has retired from the NHL.
McDowell, Kaymer share European Tour year-end award: Graeme McDowell of Northern Ireland and Martin Kaymer of Germany are the co-winners of the European Tour Golfer of the Year award, which will be shared for the first time in its 26-year history. They tied in voting by a judging panel of writers and commentators.
Kaymer won the Tour's earnings title.
Renault pays ex-driver and father: Renault agreed to pay what it calls "substantial" damages to former driver Nelson Piquet Jr. and his father over allegations they lied when they accused the Formula One team of orchestrating a crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.
After it dropped Piquet last year, Renault claimed the pair made up the story of a deliberate crash to blackmail the British-based team into keeping the driver. Allegations surrounding the crash that allowed Fernando Alonso to win the race turned out to be true, with Renault managing director Flavio Briatore and executive director of engineering Pat Symonds banned from F1.
Piquet Jr. and his father, three-time F1 world champion Nelson Piquet, had to pursue a libel case through Britain's High Court to get an apology.
"Rocky" makes the Hall of Fame: Actor Sylvester Stallone of the "Rocky" movie series and former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson head the 12-member 2011 class for induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum in Canastota, N.Y.
"Rocky" was released in 1976, and was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, winning best picture and other Oscars. Stallone wrote the script about underdog boxer Rocky Balboa and also wrote five more movie scripts based on the character.
Tyson (50-6, with two no-contests and 44 knockouts) last fought professionally in 2005.
Stallone, Tyson and the others — including Julio Cesar Chavez — will be enshrined June 12.
Seattle Times news services
Furniture & home furnishings
Absolutely Adorable Tiny Yorkie Girl
ADOPTION: At-Home Mom Financially Secure Fa...
Adorable Eskipoo Puppies!
POST A FREE LISTING