NW Briefs | UCLA player Chace Stanback visits Huskies basketball
Chace Stanback, a freshman basketball player who decided not to return to UCLA, has visited Washington and is considering joining the Huskies...
Chace Stanback, a freshman basketball player who decided not to return to UCLA, has visited Washington and is considering joining the Huskies.
Stanback, a 6-foot-8 guard/forward, played sparingly in 25 games last season for the Bruins. He averaged 1.0 points and 0.7 rebounds, in 144 minutes.
Stanback visited the UW campus, according to Harvey Kitani, his coach at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles.
"He took a visit there two weeks ago or so," Kitani told the Los Angeles Daily News.
Kitani said Stanback has visited North Carolina State, and plans to visit UNLV. Stanback is originally from North Carolina.
Stanback is a cousin of Isaiah Stanback, the former Washington quarterback.
Cougars to play summer league
Former Washington State University men's basketball players Kyle Weaver, Derrick Low and Jeff Varem will play in the 2008 NBA Summer League today through July 20 in Las Vegas.
The 38th overall pick in the second round, Weaver will play with the Charlotte Bobcats. Low will play with the Dallas Mavericks, and Varem will play with the Denver Nuggets' squad, having played for Sioux Falls in the NBA Development League in 2006-07.
• Hydroplane qualifying begins today for this weekend's Gold Cup race in Detroit. Jeff Bernard of Kent, who won the Madison, Ind., race last weekend driving the U-5 Formulaboats.com, is in the 10-boat field. Kent's Brian Perkins (U-50 Spirit of Navy), Snohomish's Greg Hopp (U-100 Mirageboats.com) and Seattle's Ken Muscatel (U-25 Superior Racing) are also competing.
• WSU freshman Jeshua Anderson ran the fastest time in the men's 400-meter hurdles for the second straight day with a 49.90 seconds in the semifinal heats Thursday at the 12th annual International Association of Athletics Federation World Junior Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
• The Seattle Thunderbirds acquired left wing Devon LeBlanc from the Prince Albert Raiders for a conditional fifth-round selection in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, the team announced Thursday.
• Anne Carr of Renton will face Alison Murdoch of Victoria, B.C., in today's 36-hole final of the PNGA Women's Mid-Amateur Championship at Meadow Springs Country Club in Richland. Kim Shin of Mountlake Terrace lost in the semifinals of the Women's Amateur competition, and Seattle's Leslie Folsom was ousted in the quarterfinals.
• No Washington golfer advanced to the quarterfinals as Logan Toskey of Renton, Jarin Todd of Woodinville and Jens Bracht of Lake Forest Park lost in round-of-16 matches at the 107th PNGA Men's Amateur at BanBury Golf Club in Eagle, Idaho. Austin Hurt of Bainbridge Island and Christopher Cho of Kent lost in the round of 32.
Seattle Times staff reporter Bob Condotta contributed to this report. Compiled from sports-information reports and other sources.
Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
Furniture & home furnishings
"Everything for the interior of a window......
*LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION* Unique Restaur...
Aging & Adult Care CW Letters of Intent to ...
POST A FREE LISTING