Jason Kidd of New York Knicks faces DWI charge | NBA
Jason Kidd of the New York Knicks was charged with driving while intoxicated. Meanwhile, Jeremy Lin's departure from the Knicks for a $25.1 million deal with Houston reportedly became a stronger possibility when New York acquired fellow point guard Raymond Felton.
Jason Kidd mentoring Jeremy Lin was a nice story last week.
Then Kidd was charged with driving while intoxicated Sunday, Lin's departure from New York for a $25.1 million deal with Houston became a stronger possibility and a position of strength suddenly was one of turbulence for the Knicks.
Kidd's arrest came within hours of the Knicks agreeing to a trade with Portland for fellow point guard Raymond Felton, seemingly increasing the chances they will decline to match Lin's offer sheet from the Rockets.
Police said Kidd, 39, crashed his SUV into a telephone pole in the Hamptons, days after the ex-Dallas Maverick signed with the Knicks.
Treated at a hospital for minor injuries after the crash in Water Mill, N.Y., Kidd was arraigned on a misdemeanor driving-while-intoxicated charge and released, police said.
The 10-time All-Star's attorney, Ed Burke Jr., said in a statement Kidd was returning from a charity function before his accident, had pleaded not guilty to the DWI charge and was awaiting further court proceedings.
Kidd has been in trouble with the law before. While playing for Phoenix in 2001, he was arrested on a domestic-violence charge, acknowledging he struck his former wife.
The 23-year-old Lin, perhaps the Knicks' most popular player in a decade, has a three-year offer sheet from Houston that includes a third-year balloon payment of $14.98 million. Under the league's luxury-tax system, that salary could cost the Knicks an additional $35 million to $45 million in tax payments.
A person with knowledge of the Knicks' deliberations told The New York Times it was "more likely than not" they would decline to match. The same person cautioned that "it's not definitive."
New York has until 8:59 p.m. PDT Tuesday to match the offer sheet.
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Timberwolves are about to find out how serious the Portland Trail Blazers were when they said they would match any offer for swingman Nicolas Batum, 23, a restricted free agent.
The Timberwolves submitted a four-year, $46 million offer sheet signed by Batum, giving the Blazers three days to match or let him leave without compensation. The deal has incentives that could push its value above $50 million.
Batum averaged a career-best 13.9 points last season.
Minnesota couldn't submit the offer until Martell Webster, a former Seattle Prep standout, cleared waivers. Webster, 25, was to make $5.7 million next season but the Wolves bought him out for $600,000 last week.
• The Phoenix Suns submitted the highest bid — at least $10 million over three years — for free-agent forward Luis Scola, 32, previously with Houston.
Scola averaged 15.5 points and 6.5 rebounds last season.
• Ex-Washington Huskies player Terrence Ross scored 14 points for the Toronto Raptors in a 71-59 loss to Miami in an NBA Summer League game in Las Vegas. In two summer games, rookie Ross — the eighth pick in last month's draft — is shooting 36 percent (12 of 33).