Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published August 8, 2014 at 7:42 AM | Page modified August 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments
  • Print

County Fair-goers: We were fed pot-laced chocolate

Three people say they were drugged after eating a chocolate bar that wasn't supposed to have marijuana in it at the Denver County Fair's new pot pavilion, and one of them has filed a lawsuit alleging the vendor was negligent.


Reader Comments
Hide / Show comments
Why can't you consume pot infused products at the pot pavilion? I get the no smoking pot in public part, but what... MORE
Overdosed on cannabis? Give me a break. I have been around cannabis for over 40 years and have never seen a person get... MORE
Maybe this lightweight should think twice before eating free 'chocolate' at a pot pavilion in a legal weed state. But... MORE

advertising

DENVER —

Three people say they were drugged after eating a chocolate bar that wasn't supposed to have marijuana in it at the Denver County Fair's new pot pavilion, and one of them has filed a lawsuit alleging the vendor was negligent.

Fair spokeswoman Dana Cain says at least two of the people went to the hospital and tested positive for THC, pot's active ingredient. Colorado law bars the public consumption of pot, and no actual marijuana was supposed to be offered at the fair.

In the lawsuit filed Thursday in state court, Jordan Coombs says he ate a free sample of chocolate after a LivWell employee told him it did not contain THC. But soon after eating the candy, Coombs said he felt strange and started vomiting uncontrollably in his car. Doctors at a hospital emergency room told him he had overdosed on the drug, according to the suit, which says the candy bar should have been properly labeled as a marijuana-infused product.

Richard Jones, of Arvada, told KMGH-TV (http://bit.ly/1slHU8a) he became sweaty and nauseated after eating the chocolate and thought he was having a stroke or heart attack. He says hospital tests showed he had about 20 times the legal driving limit of THC in his system.

The vendor says it's investigating. If marijuana really was in the bars, LivWell says it was put there without its knowledge.

___

Information from: KMGH-TV, http://www.thedenverchannel.com



Want unlimited access to seattletimes.com? Subscribe now!

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

The Seattle Times photographs

Seattle space needle and mountains

Purchase The Seattle Times images


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►