Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published May 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM | Page modified May 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Ex-tabloid royal editor: I hacked Kate 155 times

The former royal editor of the News of the World said Wednesday that he repeatedly hacked the voicemails of Prince William, Prince Harry and Kate Middleton in the months before he was arrested for illegal eavesdropping in 2006.


Associated Press

advertising

LONDON —

The former royal editor of the News of the World said Wednesday that he repeatedly hacked the voicemails of Prince William, Prince Harry and Kate Middleton in the months before he was arrested for illegal eavesdropping in 2006.

Under cross examination at Britain's phone hacking trial, Clive Goodman acknowledged he had listened to Middleton's voicemails 155 times, Prince William's 35 times and Prince Harry's nine times.

Goodman was briefly jailed in 2007, along with private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, for hacking the phones of royal aides. But Goodman said police and prosecutors never asked him whether he had also targeted members of the royal family.

"I have been as open and honest about hacking as I can be, but nobody has asked me any questions about this before," said Goodman, 56.

Earlier in the trial the jury was read transcripts of intercepted phone messages between William and Kate from the days when they were courting. She became the Duchess of Cambridge when they married in 2011.

Goodman said Kate was first targeted in late 2005, when she was becoming "a figure of increasing importance around the royal family."

"There were discussions about her and Prince William marrying, moving in, settling down," he said. "She started to receive semi royal status and things were moving on."

Goodman and six others -- including ex-News of the World editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson -- are on trial over wrongdoing at Rupert Murdoch's British tabloids. Murdoch shut down the News of the World in 2011 after evidence emerged that its staff had hacked the phones of celebrities, politicians and even a kidnapped 13-year-old girl.

The defendants deny all the charges.

Goodman said Coulson was aware that he and Mulcaire were hacking phones -- a claim Coulson denies.

"Glenn Mulcaire was such a valuable resource for the paper I had to tell him (Coulson), so I did," Goodman said.

Goodman returned to the witness box on Wednesday after a two-month break due to ill health. Judge John Saunders told the jury that a medical expert had declared the former journalist fit to continue giving evidence.

Goodman is not charged with hacking phones, but of conspiring to pay officials for royal phone directories.



Free 4-week trial, then $99 a year for unlimited seattletimes.com access. Try it now!

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Career Center Blog

Career Center Blog

Looking for joy on the job


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►