Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published April 9, 2014 at 5:55 AM | Page modified April 9, 2014 at 7:43 AM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

German prosecutors release collector's art

German prosecutors on Wednesday released more than 1,000 artworks found at the Munich apartment of a reclusive collector, days after he agreed to cooperate with authorities in determining which pieces were seized by the Nazis. However, works whose Nazi-era history is still being probed will remain in custody.


Associated Press

advertising

BERLIN —

German prosecutors on Wednesday released more than 1,000 artworks found at the Munich apartment of a reclusive collector, days after he agreed to cooperate with authorities in determining which pieces were seized by the Nazis. However, works whose Nazi-era history is still being probed will remain in custody.

Officials seized some 1,400 items, including 1,280 artworks, from Cornelius Gurlitt's apartment in 2012 while investigating a tax case. Gurlitt's lawyers appealed the seizure, arguing that the art wasn't relevant as evidence for prosecutors' suspicions of import tax evasion. He also said that seizing the entire collection was disproportionate.

Augsburg prosecutor Matthias Nickolai said in a statement that the works were formally released after prosecutors re-evaluated the legal situation. He said prosecutors had been "absolutely convinced" at the time of the seizure that it was legally correct.

Gurlitt and the German government announced a separate agreement on Monday under which at least 458 works owned by the collector that are being checked for a Nazi-era past will stay in government hands.

Any work whose background search hasn't been completed in a year will be returned to Gurlitt, but the collector will continue to grant access for further work. Also, pieces will be held in trust if restitution claims are pending on them after the year is up.

Prosecutors did not close the tax case against Gurlitt, the 81-year-old son of a Nazi-era art dealer.

It wasn't immediately clear when and how the art trove would be returned to Gurlitt, though the collector's spokesman, Stephan Holzinger, said his representatives are working hard to find "a sensible solution."

Gurlitt inherited the collection -- which includes works by Pablo Picasso, Marc Chagall and Pierre-Auguste Renoir -- from his father Hildebrand Gurlitt, an art dealer who traded in works confiscated by the Nazis.

Gurlitt's representatives are in talks with several claimants seeking restitution.

Gurlitt's lawyer, Tido Park, said that "his rehabilitation will be further strengthened by today's decision. So this is a good day for Cornelius Gurlitt."

___

Geir Moulson contributed from Berlin.



Want unlimited access to seattletimes.com? Subscribe now!

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►