Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published August 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM | Page modified August 28, 2013 at 5:41 AM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (9)
  • Print

U.S. preparing evidence trail of chemical attack in Syria

The report is one of the final steps that the administration is taking before President Obama makes a decision on a U.S. military strike against Syria, which now appears all but inevitable.

The Washington Post

Related news

North Korea connection: North Korea tried to export gas masks to Syria this spring, presumably for use in the Middle East nation’s chemical-weapons program, but the shipment on the Libya-flagged ship El Entisar was intercepted April 3 by Turkey along with arms and ammunition, the Japanese newspaper Sankei Shimbun reported Tuesday. U.N. sanctions imposed after North Korea conducted nuclear and missile tests prohibit international sales of the nation’s weapons, once a major source of hard currency. Syria is also subject to sanctions.

Arab stance: The leaders of the Arab world Tuesday blamed the Syrian government for a chemical-weapons attack that killed hundreds of people last week but declined to back a retaliatory military strike. The position taken Tuesday by the Arab League and the inability to win a U.N. mandate complicates the legal and diplomatic case for the White House.

Israel and Iran: Iranian lawmakers and commanders issued stark warnings to the United States and its allies Tuesday, saying any military strike on Syria would lead to a retaliatory attack on Israel. Iran, which itself came under chemical-weapons assault by Iraq during their eight-year war in the 1980s, has been a loyal ally of the Syrian government. Iran has blamed Israel for the conflict in Syria, saying Israel is trying to bring down Assad.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday said: “We are not part of the civil war in Syria, but if we identify any attempt whatsoever to harm us, we will respond with great force.”

Website hacked by supporters: Readers who tried to click on The New York Times’ website got nothing but error messages Tuesday afternoon in its second major disruption this month. A hacker group calling itself the “Syrian Electronic Army” claimed responsibility.

Within minutes of the attack, The New York Times announced in a Twitter message that it would continue to publish news. The company quickly set up alternative websites, posting stories about chemical attacks in Syria.

Congressional maneuvers: Rep. Scott Rigell, R-Va., is circulating a letter to colleagues saying the Constitution and the War Powers Resolution of 1973 require a vote in Congress before proceeding with a strike against the Syrian regime. According to Rigell’s office, 21 other members — all but one of whom are Republicans — have signed on. White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday, “We’re consulting directly with the leadership of the relevant committees as well as with other members of Congress ...”

Seattle Times news services

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
Amazing how they can do that even before the UN inspectors the US demanded Syria allow... MORE
Poor Obama. I am sure he figured that once he drew that red line that Assad would meet ... MORE
Evidence trail? What exactly is the point here? You all think Assad would kill his ow... MORE

advertising

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration thinks U.S. intelligence has established how Syrian government forces stored, assembled and launched the chemical weapons allegedly used in last week’s attack outside Damascus, according to U.S. officials.

The administration is planning to release evidence, possibly as soon as Thursday, that it will say proves that Syrian President Bashar Assad bears responsibility for what U.S. officials have called an “undeniable” chemical attack that killed hundreds on the outskirts of the Syrian capital.

The report, being compiled by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, is one of the final steps that the administration is taking before President Obama makes a decision on a U.S. military strike against Syria, which now appears all but inevitable.

“We are prepared,” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told the BBC on Tuesday. “We have moved assets in place to be able to fulfill and comply with whatever option the president wishes to take. We are ready to go.” The assets include four cruise-missile-armed destroyers in the Mediterranean.

The timing of such a military response is being dictated by the need not only to assemble incontrovertible evidence against Assad — an important prerequisite for the administration, and the country, given the recent memories of a war based on false claims of weapons of mass destruction — but also to allow consultation with Congress and international partners.

Britain, France and Turkey have indicated willingness to contribute to military action. The administration is weighing the importance of direct international participation in an effort that U.S. forces are prepared to undertake themselves.

The safety of United Nations experts who are in Syria investigating the chemical-weapons allegations is also an issue, said a senior administration official who spoke about internal deliberations on the condition of anonymity.

The U.N. experts, who Monday conducted the first of what was to be four days of on-site inspections, postponed their Tuesday visit because of security concerns. Reports of the Aug. 21 attack in an area outside Damascus derailed their original plans to visit three other sites in western Syria where chemical strikes allegedly occurred earlier, and the permission granted by the government for a two-week stay expires Sunday.

“We are concerned about the possibility that the Syrian government would seek to delay access and negotiate so as to seek to keep this [inspection] process going and avert the consequences,” the administration official said. Ongoing government shelling in the area, the official said, “is creating more time and space for them to seek to cover things up and delay.”

One question that is unlikely to be addressed in the intelligence report is why Assad would launch such a massive chemical strike in the face of a near-certain international response. It is a question that Russia, Assad’s principal international backer, has raised repeatedly in suggesting that Syrian rebels arranged the attack to implicate the government.

In a telephone call Tuesday with British Prime Minister David Cameron, Russian President Vladimir Putin said his government “did not have evidence of whether a chemical weapons attack had taken place, or who was responsible,” a statement on Cameron’s official website said.

The Obama administration has rejected the possibility of rebel culpability, asserting that only the government has the weapons and the rockets to deliver them. But others have speculated that the lack of an international response to the earlier, much smaller alleged chemical attacks may have emboldened Assad; that government forces last week may have mistakenly mixed the chemicals to a higher concentration than intended; or that areas with a high density of civilians may have been mistakenly targeted.

Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem said Tuesday that charges of chemical-weapons use by the government are “categorically baseless,” according to the state-run Syrian Arab News Agency, and that Syria was committed to facilitating the U.N. inspection.

“We all hear the drums of war around us,” Moualem said. “If they want to attack Syria, I think that using the lie of chemical weapons is fake and not accurate, and I challenge them to show evidence.”

He said the idea of a Western military strike to change the balance of power in Syria, which has been embroiled in a vicious conflict for more than two years, is “delusional and not at all possible.”

U.S. officials have said that any strike would be limited in scope and duration and would be intended as both punishment for the use of chemical weapons and as a deterrent. Options under consideration would target military installations, avoiding Syria’s numerous and widely dispersed chemical storage sites, many of which are in civilian areas.

The administration remains reluctant to intervene directly in Syria’s civil war, raising questions about its next step after a retaliatory strike against the regime.

“The conventional wisdom is that they will launch some Tomahawks [cruise missiles] from destroyers in the eastern Mediterranean. That’s not going to dramatically change the course of events in Syria,” said Ryan Crocker, a retired senior U.S. diplomat and former ambassador to Syria and Iraq.

To avenge what they called the “massacre” in the Damascus suburbs, al-Qaida-linked Islamist extremists among the rebels said Tuesday that they would strike Assad’s security branches and infrastructure, according to a statement signed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the Ahar al-Sham rebel group and seven other factions.

Preparations for military action were clear among U.S. allies. Cameron cut short a vacation to return to London and announced that he would recall Parliament on Thursday to discuss the issue. The prime minister’s office said British forces were drawing up contingency plans for a “proportionate” response.

In a televised address, French President François Hollande said it was the world’s responsibility to take action. “France is ready to punish those who took the decision to gas the innocent,” Hollande said.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Amazon's culture clash.

Amazon's culture clash.

A three-part series by Jay Greene, looking at how Europe is challenging the online retail giant.

Advertising

Partner Video

Advertising


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►