Skip to main content

Originally published July 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM | Page modified July 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (33)
  • Print

DEA to pay $4.1M to student forgotten in holding cell for 5 days

A man who was abandoned in a Drug Enforcement Administration holding cell for five days without food or water has agreed to settle claims for $4.1 million.

Los Angeles Times

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
3 days without water can be fatal. 5 days is at the outside edge of the envelope for... MORE
How about if poky pays us for the $4.1 million in brain damage reading his drivel has... MORE
"Why do we (tax payers) keep having to pay for the mistakes of the government... MORE


SAN DIEGO — A college student mistakenly left in a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) interrogation room for five days will receive $4.1 million from the government in a settlement in advance of a lawsuit.

The settlement was announced Tuesday by the student, Daniel Chong, 25, and his lawyer, Eugene Iredale.

“It was an accident, a really bad, horrible accident,” said Chong, who added that he now suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder.

The bizarre event in April 2012 began when Chong, an engineering student at the University of California, San Diego, went to a house near campus to smoke marijuana with friends and found himself swept up in a DEA raid.

After being questioned briefly, he was told he would be released. But, for reasons that remain unclear, he was left for five days in a 5- by 10-foot windowless room without food, water or toilet facilities.

He suffered hallucinations and was forced to drink his urine to survive. He screamed for help.

Fearing he would die, he broke his glasses and scrawled the message, “Sorry, mom” on his arm.

When he was discovered by DEA employees, he was covered in his own feces and severely dehydrated. He was rushed to a hospital, close to kidney failure and breathing with difficulty. He spent five days in the hospital.

Days later, a top DEA official apologized to Chong and ordered an extensive review of DEA procedures.

“I extend my deepest apologies (to) the young man and want to express that this event is not indicative of the high standards that I hold my employees to,” said William Sherman, who was acting special agent in charge of the DEA’s San Diego Division.

No charges were filed against Chong, whose attorney had said he intended to file a $20 million lawsuit against the federal government.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon



Celebrate that amazing NFC win with a poster or tee shirt featuring The Seattle Times Jan. 19 front page. Order now!


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►