Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Guantanamo hunger strike may have reached peak

The long-running hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay may be showing the first signs of tapering off.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

MIAMI —

The long-running hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay may be showing the first signs of tapering off.

U.S. officials say the number of men refusing meals has dropped from 106 to 104. The decline reported Thursday is the first since the military began releasing a daily tally in March. A prison spokesman says he expects more men to resume regular meals in coming days

Navy Capt. Robert Durand says nearly all of the 166 prisoners at the U.S. base in Cuba took part this week in a meal of lamb to break the fast for the Muslim holy period of Ramadan earlier this week.

Lawyers for prisoners dispute the military's criteria to designate prisoners as hunger strikers and say the protest will go on until men start to be released.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Enter to win!

Enter to win!

Share a photo of your holiday lights display and you may win a $100 Home Depot gift card.

Advertising

Partner Video

Advertising


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►