Skip to main content

Originally published May 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM | Page modified May 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM

  • Share:
  • Comments (1)
  • Print

Rescuers keep digging to reach Indonesian miners

Rescuers were digging for a fourth day Friday trying to reach 23 workers trapped in a caved-in tunnel at a giant U.S.-owned gold and copper mine in Indonesia.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
But isn't Papua a United Nations colony? Didn't the UN take possession of West Papua... MORE


TIMIKA, Indonesia —

Rescuers were digging for a fourth day Friday trying to reach 23 workers trapped in a caved-in tunnel at a giant U.S.-owned gold and copper mine in Indonesia.

PT Freeport Indonesia, the operator of the Grasberg mine in Papua province, said rescuers had successfully cleared two passages to provide access for heavy equipment that will help expedite the rescue efforts.

The collapse happened Tuesday when 38 workers were undergoing safety training inside a classroom in the tunnel, which is part of a training facility located away from where normal mining takes place. Ten workers have been rescued and five bodies recovered since then.

More than 20,000 workers are employed at the mine owned by Phoenix, Arizona-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. in the restive province, which holds some of the world's largest gold and copper reserves.

Until Friday, rescuers were manually removing debris since heavy equipment could not fit in the tight space.

Papua Governor Lukas Enembe visited the scene Friday and estimated that rescuers might need two to three days to get through the classroom.

"Since it is the most fatal accident in Freeport history here, we surely take it into account as a pressure to guarantee safety of the workers," Enembe said.

PT Freeport Indonesia revised the number of workers believed to be trapped to 23 from 24 after one of them was discovered to have escaped unharmed.

Hundreds of workers are still blocking a main road about 3 kilometers (1.8 miles) from the accident site in solidarity with the victims. They are seeking a guarantee from management that they will be safe working underground.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has ordered both Freeport and concerned government agencies to intensify rescue efforts and to thoroughly investigate the accident.

In 2011, production at the mine was crippled when 8,000 unionized employees walked off the job after demanding higher pay. The strike ended after the company agreed to a 37 percent wage hike and improved benefits.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Get ready for 2015

Get ready for 2015

The Seattle Times 12-month wall calendar features hand-picked photos of life in the Pacific Northwest. Order while supplies last!


Partner Video


Career Center Blog

Career Center Blog

Bad email habits to break today

The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►