Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published May 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM | Page modified May 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (3)
  • Print

200 sickened after dining at Las Vegas restaurant

Two hundred people who dined at a Las Vegas restaurant reported food-poisoning symptoms, making it the largest outbreak Southern Nevada health officials have seen in at least a decade.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
44 demerits – that did not happen overnight – the lax practices of... MORE
They gambled, they lost. MORE
Health Department inspections are a joke. They're usually pre-announced. "Oh by... MORE

advertising

LAS VEGAS — A new report shows 200 people who dined at one of Las Vegas’ most popular restaurants about a block off the Strip have reported food-poisoning symptoms, making it the largest outbreak Southern Nevada health officials have seen in at least a decade.

Sick patrons who dined at Firefly, a tapas restaurant on Paradise Road, in late April hailed from 20 different states and two foreign countries, according to a report released Friday by the Southern Nevada Health District. There are likely many more cases that have gone unreported.

“Usually we think of people who are identified as just the tip of the iceberg,” said Linh Nguyen, an epidemiologist with the health district and lead investigator on the case.

Firefly is one of Las Vegas’ highest-rated restaurants on the review site Yelp.com, garnering a 4½ star rating on a five-star scale out of more than 1,300 reviews. Patrons rave about bacon-wrapped dates and signature sangria.

The restaurant has been closed since April 26, when health-district officials received reports of gastrointestinal illness from eight separate groups of people who had dined at Firefly between April 21 and 24. Inspectors hit the restaurant with 44 demerits, including food stored at improper temperatures and employees handling food without gloves.

Firefly owner John Simmons said in a statement that he hopes to reopen by the end of the month at a different site near the old restaurant. He added that he’s hired a food-safety consultant and is working to implement the district’s recommendations to regain the community’s confidence.

Already, a Las Vegas couple has filed a lawsuit against Firefly. Representatives of Seattle law firm Marler Clark, which specializes in foodborne-illness cases, said Friday that 76 people have contacted them hoping to be included in the suit.

Investigators initially zeroed in on an egg-based aioli sauce, but have since ruled that out. Some grated hard cheeses also appeared to be associated with the illness, although many of the menu items consumed by the patrons didn’t contain the cheese.

Inspectors are considering employee-hygiene practices, and tracing the sources of some foods served raw. If the salmonella originated further back in the supply chain, sickness may be showing up elsewhere in the country.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Seattle Sketcher Book

Seattle Sketcher Book

Due to popular demand, the pre-sale price of $29.95 is extended until October 5!

Advertising

Partner Video

Advertising


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►